Starts and Stops of Stitching

irene rose

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I usually read the forums, but generally don't post.  I guess I'm shy or quiet???  But, I've been thinking about this topic for awhile, and really want to know what other LA'ers think....

When starting my stitches, I take a couple stitches forward and backwards to secure the thread.  Sometimes, I don't like the way it looks, especially if the thread is on the "heavier weight" side.  And, I want my starts and stops to be as invisible as possible.  But, I don't want to necessarily bury the threads.

If I only take one or two stitches back and forth, I worry the stitches won't hold and the quilting may start to come "undone".   What do you think - what has been your experience?  Is it safe to just do two stitches and expect it to hold?

Thank you for your responses.

irene

IMHO the only way to make your starts & stops inconspicuous is to leave tails & bury them.  Sorry, I don't think there is a suitable substitute...especially for a show quilt.  How many stitches it takes to actually make threads secure (on a functional quilt) will depend on the thread (weight & fiber).   Nancy in Tucson

Of course, it depends on the use of the quilt and the quality of its construction.  I take very tiny stitches, the smallest my machine will stitch, for about 1/4 inch at the beginning and end of a line of stitching.  I try to begin and end in an inconspicuous place, like a seam if possible.  It is pretty secure.  In fact, when you want these stitches out, you can barely get them out.  For show quilts, yes, knotting and burying is the way to go. 

It also depends on the number of starts and stops.  If you are using one thread color, in an E to E freehand design, knotting and burying won't take that much longer.  I am currently working on a HUGE art quilt, and knotting and burying has added roughly double to the amount of time the quilt is taking.  Not fun. 

• 5 months later...

I have gone from wondering why anyone would take the trouble to knot and bury to feeling like it is the only way to stop and start.  I had too many worries with the other methods (backstitching, tiny stitches). I tended to have thread breaks when putting in the tiny stitches, didn't like the way it looked and always worried about sending quilts home that might come unraveled, especially with slippery threads.  I use a basting needle that has a fairly large eye.   It is really easy and quick to do after a little practice, and I am a lot better at this method than the others.

Carol

I do use the open end needles to bury the thread. Not having to thread the eye of the needle with old eyes is a plus for those needles. I like the ones in the Fons and Porter line of sewing notions best. I keep the needle on a magnetic business card and just lay it on the quilt top as I am quilting so that I don't loose the needle.

Archived