Loading a quilt - start to finish

JoNolen1

Well..... i have my new machine (loving it). The DVD I got must be a bad one, I get no sound and it has locked 2 computers.... 

Anyway, I wonder, could anyone please either provide a link showing me how to pin in my quilt back, top, and batting.....

Or give me step by step directions... pretending I an in 6th grade, lol.....

Thanks ! :)

I looked at that site, and didn't really get much info on how to load it...

Step by step.... pin back (right side down) to backing roller.

Pin other end to take up roller 

Pin top (right side up) to quilt top roller

When do I roll the bars?

Wow... ! Thanks for that ! I was doing it the hard way apparently, lol ! Your way is a lot quicker, and less pinning ! Woo ! 

Just so I have it right, the top and batting 'float' across the top of the bars closest to head of machine...? Genius :)

I sew my backings on with water soluble thread; Vanish or Vanish Lite by Superior. Regular thread in the bobbin. I have zippers. I zip off the take up roller zipper and the backing roller one and baste the backing on the zippers. When it's finished, I just tug at the edge and it POPS right off! Then I pull out the long bobbin thread on the other side of the zippers. 

Clear as mud??  :wacko:  :wacko:  :blink: YIKES! I just re-read this! hahaha

• 9 months later...

Shirley, you mention the red snappers.  A friend with an Innova just told me about them.  Any comments on their use?  I watched a video on them yesterday and wonder if they are as easy to use as they look.

We just installed my new Millie and I need to go buy pins so that I can load my first test piece. Also, want to rewatch the DVD that came with the machine as there are differences from the Gammill I used at work.

The red snappers are great. I had already put zippers on my leaders so I just made casings and attached them to the zippers and zipped them on. So if I have a quilt I know I will need to be put on and off several times I use my zippers which I stitch onto my backing. But 99.9 percent I do with the snappers. They are a little stiff in the beginning, but I can load and unload and turn in nothing flat. My friend took her longer ones and cut them into 6-12 inch sections for her. I have cut some down also and left others long. I love them. I ruined a lot of clothes with pins and had a lot of pokes. Tried stapling zippers, pinning zippers, etc. my favorite is red snappers. If you have trouble with your hands have someone clip them on and off many times to loosen them up.

It is like anything else everyone has their favorites. I hated pinning and it took me forever. Others can pin in no time. You have to find what works for you.

Shirley

I use zippers, mainly because the pins, red snappers etc., bother the arthritis too much.   They also make it quicker to remove

from  the frame and put back on, should that need arize.. I remove when I need to frog a lot of bad control lines.. then just zip back on

I use thread that is no telling how many generations old, I know I've had it for over 10 years,

so it's not strong and rips right off. 

I also dsm baste the backing to the zippers.. easy to do.. make sure you have a nice straight

end on the backing.  ask me why I say that !!  lol

OPN, the CD, I can run mine on the TV or computer. Seems to work well.

Rita

Archived