SR for Ultimate

Rmgoode

I purchased my ULT2 used with the added SR.  You can add one to this machine, I think the cost is close to $3,000.  If you purchase your machine at a very reasonable cost, then adding the SR could be a good investment.  There are several ladies here that have ultimate machines that do not have the SR and do just fine without it.  I would use your new machine without it for a while and then make the decision as to weather you want to add the SR,.

I had and Ult 1 for about a year.  I was a very experienced FM quilter on my DSM.  I was really frustrated trying to get similar quality on the Ult 1 that I was able to produce on my DSM, mostly because of SR.  i upgraded to a new Millie with a SR.  Two years later, I'm thinking I might have done better to just add a SR to the Ult 1.  I do love the many convenient features of the Millie, but the main thing that frustrated me with the Ult 1 was the fact that the stitch length is set on the machine head, and can't be easily modified on the fly.  You either keep stitching at that speed or stop, and change speeds.  For someone familiar with FM quilting on a DSM, you stitch at whatever speed is comfortable for you, and you control the stitch length by how hard you press on the "gas" pedal.  I now believe that this is something that you can learn to deal with, even though it caused me to engage in strong drink during my first few months.  If I had stuck it out longer, I might have adapted.  But truthfully, if you are used to FM quilting with a DSM, I think you will be happier with a SR - it more closely models the environment that you may be familiar with.  And it will be WAY cheaper than a new machine.  The Ult 1 is a great machine, it just lacks some of the nice features of the newer machines - but it is also a much more modest investment, even if you decide to pop for a SR.  

I have an Ultimate I that I bought about two months ago...and I love it.  I do not have stitch regulation, but I agree it would make things much easier.  If you just got your machine and are thinking about adding it, I'd say you have time to play.  You can do a LOT without it, but it is probably the ONE thing I wish I could add to my machine.  I go back and forth as to if I'll add it or not.  For the price I'd almost rather save up for a Green Machine with stitch reg.

I purchased an Ultimate I that had the Intellistitch stitch regulator already installed. It made the learning curve so much easier for me, and fit in to my budget better than a newer machine with all the bells and whistles. I've been very happy with the service I received when there was an issue with it, which led to me saving my pennies and purchasing IQ years later.

In my view, it is definately worth it!  The "green" Milli's are Ult 1's that have been retrofitted with new electronics.  And no, you can't buy a used stitch regulator.  When the stitch regulator up grade is done, the machine, in most cases, receives a new motor, and is always completely rewired, with new electronics and and sensors.  The stitch regulator is not really an add on.  If you have a Ult 1, I think the factory will do the up grade for you.  If you have a Ult2 your only option is the Intellistitch.  Intellistitch can be adder to a Ult 1 as well.  I think you would have to send your machine back to the factory to have APQS do the upgrade.  Intellistich can be installed where your machine is set up.  I don't know what the factory upgrade costs, but I think the on site Intellistich up grade still costs $3200.  I don't know whether there is anything else out there, but I wouldn't consider anything other that these two options anyway.

I put an Intellistitch on my Ult2 about 2 years ago, and I am very happy with it.  It put my old machine in a class with the new ones.  Good luck.  Jim

APQS no longer retrofits for stitch regulation, so the only option you have if you decide to add it on is go through another company.   I first checked with APQS to see if I they would add it on, and they advised they were no longer doing it.  They said if I added the I/S they (APQS) would still be able to do all service my machine except anything related to the wiring and stitch regulation if I ever had any issues with it.

I just added the Intellistitch to my Ultimate 1 and I am quite pleased with it.  There is one more option and that would be to trade your head in on a new head with stitch regulation an reuse your table. The previous owner of my machine said APQS would give her about $1500 on a trade.  I don't know if that is still the going rate.

Nigel

Archived