Trouble seeing stitches help!

Sheagatzi

I'm quilting a quilt that has a variety of white print background in the sashing/borders.    Some of the white prints pick up the stitches beautifully using the blacklight.   Most of the fabric doesn't do well with the black light.  I've tried turning all lights off,  using a headlamp, etc and still sometimes feel like I'm stitching blindly.   Are led and fluroescent lights the problem? Maybe I need something that is dimmer? 

Anyone have suggestions?   I know you were so helpful before! 

Shirley gives excellent advice. I use a small LED Ott light that I can attach to the side of the machine. I also use an under-counter fluorescent unit (about $17) from Home Depot. I lay it across the rollers and move it as needed. Both are used with all other lights off.

YES!! I agree with Linda! I knew to light from the side with the fluorescent light but no one ever told me to TURN THE LIGHTS IN THE ROOM OFF! I taped a thin strip of paper to the top side of the light to keep the glare out of my eyes. I even cover my window if it is a bright day out. Turn the light off on your machine also and just use the fluorescent light. You have to keep moving the light down the rails as you go. I put mine on my left side and work to the right.

Archived