Help needed...what fabric is best for wholecloth quilts?

I want to make a whole cloth quilt that will be 60 x 60 or therabouts. I thought about cotton sateen, but if it is like my sheets, it produces little bumps on the fabric after washing. What should I use and where do you buy fabric this wide? I have searched online for solid cotton fabrics and haven't found any that wide. Are wholecloth quilts actually pieced to make them wider? Thanks in advance for any help.

Debbie

Hi Janette and Heidi,

Janette, I looked at fabric.com and the solid colors I found in the cotton silk were listed at 43". Wow, that is some really nice looking fabric. Had never heard of it until now. Definitely will use it in a quilt... or maybe some pillowcases. The older I get, the rougher fabrics feel to my skin. Heidi, thank you for the information on the cotton sateen, I will see if I can find it in wide widths and give it a try. Was really concerned that it would turn out like my sheets did! I have to turn them inside out on the bed. They ended up feeling like sandpaper under me.

Love this forum, everyone is so helpful!

Thank you!

Debbie

I've used cotton sateen from Christian Lane quilters. Great site, great customer service. The cotton sateen for quilting is different from cotton sateen sheets, at least it looks and feels different to me. I have not had any problems using cotton sateen in my quilts.

Make sure you get enough of the fabric for the binding also. You can bind it with a different fabric but I think they look best with matching binding. I know at a national show a gorgeous whole cloth quilt by a national teacher was disqualified for doing the binding in a different fabric. The rules did state that the binding had to be the same fabric. I wish I could remember her name. She colored her quilt with permanent markers after quilting it and has a book on the technique.

Well, I ordered some Kona cotton (Robert Kaufman) wideback from Backside Fabrics. Very good price and if I mess it up, I won't have lost a lot of money. Besides, she is a NC girl! Actually, she is located just a few miles from the town I was born in so I thought it would be nice to support my local shops. Also ordered some thread yesterday from Superior threads. They are rapidly becoming my favorite goto threads. I will post a picture when my quilt is finished. My thanks to everyone who helped me. IF this comes out well, I may give the cotton sateen a try with the next one. She has good prices on that too.

Debbie

• 11 months later...

I just bought cotton sateen from Linda's Electric Quilter site and it comes in several colors and white.  It is wide and sold by the yard or roll.  I think I got 3 yards for the top and 3 for the back and since I will start with a large one, I think it will work. 

If you are getting little "bumps" on your fabric after washing it may have poly in it as well as cotton.  Poly reacts with friction and with heat.  The fibers snap and form little "bumps" or better known as pills.  I have used good old satin and it looked fabulous but, of course, I didn't win anything.  I put quilts into shows just to show ordinary folks what ordinary quilters do!!!

Archived