Quiltazoid?Circle Lord? Hartley Fence? Pantographs? What to buy?

I'm new to the APQS forum, but I've been reading as much as I can whenever I can find a minute.  I'm so grateful to have found all of you quilters who are willing to share your wisdom.  There is a particular subject, however, that I'm finding is leaving me more confused than I already was.  I'm getting ready to order my brand new Freedom, and I'm trying to decide which bells and whistles I should get.  Some (not many, to be honest) say get the Hartley Fence. Then there's the Quiltazoid, or Circle Lord.  What about pantographs?  Here's another big question: If I get the Quilt Path System, would I even need any of these other systems? Any help/advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I am new also...I got a used Lucey just a few weeks ago...I did get bliss with it based on what I read here....I also got some advice to hold off on the gadgets and extra rulers and stuff until I got to know Lucey and quilting more.....I did have only limited experience on a little 9 inch....I do go ahead a order the basic Hartley base as I am pretty sure that I do want to at least try some ruler work..but I would want a ruler base that is easy to put on and take off....but that is it for now.  I sure more folks with experience will off some advice....Lin

And if I were you, I'd wait til you have your machine a while before getting any gadgets.

Your machine will come with a panto.

After you try that one, if you decide you enjoy doing pantos, then you can get some.

If you like free motion, after you hone your skills, you can get some rulers.

The only gadgets I think everyone needs is a good straight ruler, something like a Maarvy marker and an extended base.

My favorite straight ruler is Deloa's little one. Smaller is easier for me to control and line up, but others like big rulers do you have to move them less.

If you go slow, try things out at shows B4 you buy, you won't wind up with a bunch of stuff you don't want or use.

Slow down and take a deep breath. First thing I would get is a Hartley base and a straight ruler. It will come with a pantograph. Buy only one cone of thread you want to try like one glide or so fine or whatever until you figure out what you like. Same with prewound bobbins. I would then invest in some videos and classes. Until you know what you like you could go broke. You may like pantographs or you might not. Freehand and ruler work are the same. Play until you find what you like to do. Videos are great you can watch them over and over. With classes you wont remember it all. If you go with quiltpath you don't want a bunch of paper pantographs since you will be buying digitized ones. Also some marking tools like chalk a air erase pen etc are something you might need. Maybe a couple stencils.

Don't buy a bunch of any one thing until you find your niche.

Have fun and just ask questions the only dumb question is one you don't ask.

When I bought my Millie I got a couple of pantos and a Hartley Extended Base with my machine ( my local dealer Angie must have had something to do with the Base) and a little ruler for SID (that Angie also recommended). I practiced with these for a long while before I purchased any more gadgets.

I come from a DM free motion background and do not quilt as a business, so I have not developed any skills with pantos or any of the other gadgets that make this faster and more consistent ( if you are quilting as a business i think you must HAVE to be able to at least do pantos). Ruler work is way harder for me than free motion but I am finally after 4+ years getting around to trying it!

I agree with the others..... Buy little at first and get to know your machine and which techniques you like. It is a terrible thing to have rulers and such wasting away in a drawer!!

If you are planning to get a computerized system like Quilt Path, I would think you wouldn't need any other gadgets.  I have a Quiltazoid which I am happy with, but they do not seem to be develpoing any new accessories to go with it.  If its going to be quite awhile before you can computerize, and if you plan to do customer quilts, a Circle Lord or Quiltazoid is a great addition.  But like others have mentioned, wait awhile before investing in a lot of rulers, etc.  The Base Expander and a Stitch in the Ditch ruler are the first purchases you should consider.  You will need those even if you do computerize at some point.

I'm a newbie and have had my machine for just over a month. I got the ruler base and a ruler came with it. Not sure if that is standard or if I lucked out getting a straight ruler with it too. I received two pantos as well. You can print off a bunch of free pantos from urban elementz. I've done that and taped them together. I got a ton of continuous line books from the library and sign them out every few weeks to try new things out. You tube is very helpful for watching techniques. The best advice I received is to get minimal gadgets at first....try a bit at a time. Also, I bought a whiteboard, and practice drawing whenever I can. I'll plunk down some mock blocks or sashing and then practice drawing stitching..

Archived