Machine basting before DSM quilting?

fineseams

I don't own a George (yet), but this seemed the best place to post this question.

On occasion, I still quilt reasonably-sized quilts on my domestic for various reasons.  I have one now that I'd like to quilt.

I know that some of you do machine basting for hand quilting on the LA.  I've seen reference to using Vanish so that it washes out when quilting is complete.  If one isn't quilting heavily, and takes quite long basting stitches (ala Linda R's advice), is it okay to use regular thread?  This isn't my quilt, and I'd prefer not to have to wash it, but I do want to quilt it on my domestic because I want to use the serpentine stitch.  I'm not confident that I can get a squiggle stitch regular enough to suit me on my LA.

I'm trying to decide whether it will be more trouble to pull out the basting thread or to pin the quilt sandwich.

Bonnie

I use bright slippery thread like Highlights. It's easy to see and remove. This is usually a technique for hand quilters and I've never basted for a DSM stitcher. I stitch a grid like a castle top, which can be stitched top to bottom easily. But if it was for a DSM I would stitch straight across, break the thread, go back to the same side and stitch across again. If you stitch across and then back the other direction sometimes the pushing of the hopping foot will skew the fabric enough that you get those diagonal ripples in the fabric. Then stitch lines top to bottom, again stitched in the same direction. About 3" apart is a good spacing. :)

Before I had my longarm, I did LOTS of quilting on my domestic machine. I had a friend baste a top for me on her longarm. It was a nightmare. It was difficult to quilt without getting puckers near the lines of basting, so I'd remove lots of basting, then have problems with stabilizing...you get the picture. I much prefer pin basting, I felt I had much more control.

Interestingly, Lisa C and I recently took a class from Cindy Needham on linen quilts. Cindy's method is to pin baste, then machine baste (removing the pins) prior to machine quilting on the domestic machine. Guess what? I ended up with puckering near the lines of basting...

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather quilt a pin basted quilt any day, especially if you are doing dense quilting. ;)

Archived