Flip Flop quilt - How to quilt????

Here's a thought: Could you draw out a foot with toes (like the imprint left on flip flops after having been worn for a while)? Quilt that inside the shoes. Then you could do some kind of meander in the background. Maybe sand -- the little circles that go round and round?

My daughter-in-law made one of these quilts and I SID around the flip-flops and then quilted a meander with palm trees around the rest of the quilt. I drew a simple, continuous-line palm tree on a piece of paper and practiced them in different sizes. Then when I started quilting I did a meander and placed palm trees wherever they looked good, smaller ones in the sashing and larger ones in the borders. It really looks good and didn't take much time at all.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide.

Darlene: When you're typing a message or response, look down below where you're typing. See on the bottom left where it says "attachment". Then you click "browse" and find the picture on your computer. Click or double click it and it will appear.

Darlene,

As a professional web designer, I was a little aghast myself when that picture didn't post! LOL! :P

The reason that I had problem posting the picture on the first try, was that I pushed the "preview" posting first, so when I clicked on "post" it had forgotten that I had attached the picture on the screen before.

• 3 weeks later...

Delivered the pair of Flip flop quilts last night at Guild to the very happy owner! Ended up doing a freehand 'Bamboo' in all of the sashings, a freehand Hawaiian type flower in the corner stones and a meander around the flip flops. She was thrilled, then announced it was going in our quilt show in Feb 2005! eek! :o

Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions!

Archived