I usually put batting with mine - a thinner cotton like Legacy cotton.   But I have done them without batting too.  I sew the minky to zippers.  This tends to stretch it so I start the quilt lower from the top of the backing so the stretch doesn't affect the quilt and I really keep the backing takeup rollers loose.  I hope this helps.  

If anyone else has some ideas, I'm interested too.   BTW, there was an article on sewing with minky in a recent publication of Machine Quilting Unlimited.  There were several different ideas discussed.

I do minkee all the time. I load it either direction. If you load the cut end it does stretch during loading. I have red snappers so I start down a little ways anyway. I start at least 3-1/2 inches down. I always use a batting even with minkee top and bottom or minkee back and cotton top. I cut kinked into 3 inch strips for my binding and sew single fold to the back then fold over to the front folded in half and stitch down with the machine. Don't pull the backing too tight on the rollers or with the clamps.

It quilts up beautifully.

Shirley

I agree with all the loading tips for Minkee. What I've learned when quilting this product without batting is sometimes while the top looks fine, and bit of stretch on the backer results in "balloons" on the Minkee. That's where the bit of stretch rebounds and there is added Minkee between loops or meanders---looking like puffy spots or balloons. I don't recommend loops as an overall on Minkee because of this. Minkee with an added thin batting doesn't have this problem because the batting and Minkee bond enough to stabilize it all. Just my experience. I keep very thin poly on hand for those customers who figure Minkee with no batting will work. After I explain the issues I can usually persuade them to accept a batting in between. I think they think the quilt will be too heavy, but handing them a piece of thin poly by itself they realize that the added weight is only a few ounces.

Thanks everyone - I see there's a great thread on this topic from Feb of this year - don't know why that didn't come up when I searched - I have decided to call my customer and suggest a light batting - the top is so cute, I don't want to ruin it - and I don't want to spend hours picking out stitches either!    thanks again . . .

Bev, I've made lots of minkee backed quilts and I always use batting. I love how the quilting shows on minkee. Just messing around, I made my granddaughter a little quilt for her babies and did not use batting with the minkee. It is very flimsy and the quilting isn't nearly so defined. I'd recommend using batting if possible. Good luck!

Archived