curves and rulers

I am fortunate in that my husband is a wood worker and recently he made me some wood templates for the three swag lines I was quilting in a small quilt. If you can find something around the house that you can use for a template go for it; be sure it is tall enough to not sew over. I have also used my straight ruler to steady my line and just free handed it. I know a lot of people like DeLoa's Appliguide for this; it doesn't work for me so I practiced with my straight ruler to steady my hand on areas like this - the key is to go slow!

Bonnie I don't really measure, go more by looking at the curve to see what boomerang might work.  If I'm making the swag from scratch then I'd mark my boundary lines side to side and find the middle.  I'd find the ruler that went the best from the bottom up to the top middle and use that.  If it is a swag already on the quilt and I'm trying to outline it, I use the ruler that is closest in the curve and stitch slowly, stopping with the needle down and pivoting as needed.

• 2 months later...

I would try to sneak to the next line as often as you can to save on doing so many starts and stops.  I usually outline all of the flowers and stems with monopoly first that nails them down and you can't see any "oops" or stray stitches that may happen.

Archived