Bobbin thread not pulling up

I was doing some free motion quilting when I inadvertently hit  a thick seam. My thread broke and I rethreaded only to find my bobbin thread will not pull up thru my quilt sandwich. It appears to be catching on the assembly, but still not coming up. I have replaced the needle with a new one and it is in correctly. I am totally intimidated with the thought of having to retime the machine. Please give me some direction on what to do next. 

The manual shows you how to tell if the needle is still in the right position.  Put the needle in it's lowest position, take the bobbin out and use a flashlight (and reading glasses for me) to peer in at the needle tip.  It should be 1/16" below the bobbin case edge.  That's from my memory.  Check your manual for the correct details.  If it's in the right spot I think that means you do not need to retime.

Did you find the broken tip of the needle?  That might be lodged in your bobbin assembly somewhere and keeping the thread from coming back through.  If all else fails with cleaning your bobbin case and the assembly, then I would check to be sure it is still timed correctly.

With the breaking of the needle you may have jammed the needle bar, which pushes it farther up and out of the correct position to stitch. Annie is perfect with her answer to check the needle height. Look in your manual for a view straight into the bobbin area that shows the correct position of the needle on the down-stroke. Hopefully you may not need to retime...

Archived