Thanks to whoever posted about George at Nolting

Last week when I was thinking about getting a longarm, someone posted about a new George in a box for sale at Nolting.  It didn't take me long to decide to take the chance and get him.  Received him Friday evening and spent all day yesterday practicing.  He's awesome!  I am enjoying reading the forums for any tips, suggestions, etc.  I was using my Bernina 730 previously.

Welcome Grannylil! This forum is an awesome place to go for information. You will find that we all have our own niche; do our own thing and share everything. I do a little of everything; mostly freehand because I hate marking. I do mark a lot for cross hatching; I use some stencils, and of course, mark registration lines all the time; even for freehand work. Try them all on a practice piece and learn what you like best; you will find you keep growing in your quilting all the time. Congratulations!

Grannylil,  I have a George, too.  I do a lot of free hand as well as marking with stencils.  I don't use rulers much yet, since that takes a different motion and it does on a frame machine.  You will truly love working with your George since most of the motions are the same as you used with your Bernina, just lots more nice space!!!!  and faster.

Welcome to the George family!  You got a killer deal on that machine and now you're in the right place if you need any help or advice in using it.  I'm the George rep in the Southwest...the advice that I give people during a test drive follows:

George is very user friendly.   However, there may be a bit of a learning curve no matter how experienced you are in quilting on the domestic machine.  Be patient with yourself and don't be intimidated by the machine.  You can troubleshoot most issues yourself and this forum is a GREAT support system. George is a simple & durable machine but a little less 'sensitive' than your Bernina.  When you adjust your tension (and you will be doing that on the top thread AND the bobbin case), you'll need to make larger adjustments than you did on your DSM.  Use the right needles and learn how to insert them properly.  Practice, practice, practice until you can 'hear' when the machine is operating in its 'sweet spot'.  When you get into trouble, come here or call Amy in Iowa.  She is amazing at diagnosing a problem and talking you through the fix.

In answer to your question, George owners are traditional quilters and art quilters.  We do all kinds of quilting...marked, unmarked, tiny designs in silk thread or larger designs with thicker decorative threads.  Now that the machine has interchangeable feet, some of us are using the thicker feet to try a little ruler work as well.  He'll support any free motion technique you want to learn.

Welcome to the APQS family, Grannylil.  You're going to be really happy with your decision!  Here for you,  Nancy in Tucson

Thank you all for the welcome.  Just browsing through the forum has taught me a few things. The quilting I have seen is beautiful. I do have a Bernina/Grace frame with a Juki on it, but I really did not like the loading of the quilts on it, and I was having problems standing for long periods of time. After taking a couple of classes on Craftsy, on quilting large quilts on a small machine, and the quilting sampler, I was able to get a little more adventurous in my quilting. That is when I became interested in my George. My daughter told my DH that he was going to start being jealous when I started spending a lot of time with George. LOL. My plan for my practice muslin blocks is to make them into a small quilt for my granddaughter Julie Ann. She will be 4 tomorrow. I still have a couple more blocks to make and then I can put it together. I look forward to staying touch with you all.

Lillie

Archived