Tension issues with minky

i have a customer's quilt on my Millie with some sort of minky on it. I know she got it at JoAnn's and it seems a little thicker than the standard minky. I tested it with a scrap piece of cotton fabric and batting to see how it would do. Everything seemed fine. Then when I went to work on the quilt(batik), it seems to be having a loose top stitch every 5 or so stitches. When I looked on the back, there are spots of the bobbin thread nesting. I'm still relatively new to my Millie...I used to rent a Gammill before so I didn't really need to know much about tension because there was a lot of hand holding where I rented. Any thoughts? I'm not sure where would be best to start.

With minkee you have to go a bit slower. I use it all the time but you have to find your tension balance. Try your bobbin a little looser and you top thread a little tighter. On the side tighten top tension until you see the bobbin thread on the top then loosen until you cannot see it. Don't have the minkee too tight you want it so that it is not stretched but not too loose. A little bit looser than a cotton backing. You may also need to adjust the tension spring on the tension assembly. They weaken over time and it may need to be adjusted if nothing else works.

Shirley

I quilt a lot of quilts with minkee on the back and love it!  It usually hides and imperfect tension.  I wonder if there is a possibility that your machine is not threaded quite right...I am thinking that maybe it has come out from underneath the curved piece that is after the tension spring...

Archived