I'm doing an e2e design on a quilt made with tiny, batik, pinwheels where all the points converge making little, rock hard mountains. I've had 2 needles break so far and worry about damaging the quilt. I'm using a size 16, titanium needle. Any ideas as to how I can soften these little mountains to avoid breaking any more needles, throwing my timing off and ruining the quilt? Help, please :-/

Thanks! I'm not inclined to remove it from the rollers as I'm afraid I won't get it mounted in the same exact same place. But, thanks Meg!

Mark, I will try the larger needle but I was worried it would put holes in the batik fabric. I've always used a 16 on batiks. Any other suggestions? I think I remember hearing about water softening the fabric. Perhaps a little spray bottle with some water in it?.....

You don't say if this is your quilt or a customer quilt, but if it is a customer quilt I would not spray any type of water on it. There is a chance the batk  color could run.  If the larger needle pokes holes in the fabric they will close up the first time the quilt is washed.

Archived