panel quilts

i just quilted 2 "comfort" panel quilts that were identical & made by the same person.  there was an inch difference in overall size between the 2 quilts.  both quilts had large mitered borders.  i used the CL meander board.  the 1st quilt went well...just a little fullness on the bottom border & trimming the quilt was simple. the 2nd quilt was ok till the end where there was quite a bit of fullness for my experience level.  i used the steam method & ended up taking 2 pleats on both sides of the bottom border at the miters.  i never thought about measuring all 4 sides til now :D  in any case, it seems that panels aren't square off the bolt sometimes.  the real problem happened when i went to trim the quilt.  there was no way i could use a square ruler without messing up the "printed straight line" that went all around the border on the fabric.  what could i do next time to make it come out better?

Sometimes there's not much you can do, especially when those panels aren't printed straight on the fabric to begin with. Sounds like the borders with the mitered corners may have contributed to the fullness, too. It would be a lot of trouble, but sometimes blocking the quilt before trimming could help. If you are floating your tops, it might help to pin it instead.

Archived