Is anybody up for a swap?

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have seven ladies signed up so far. We really need a few more.  If interested, go to the first page and pick a block off the list, or suggest one of your own that is beachy.  I will send the fabric squares out as soon as I get everybody signed up. We will cut off on May 31st.

When choosing your block pattern, don't forget that traditional pieced blocks will look great with these themed blocks.  If anybody wants to join in and make some bright pinwheels or stars I thin that would be a great compliment to our summer theme.

Laura, I got your message and I have added you.  Just let us know what kind of block you are going to include.

Teresa, I am participating...I just can't make up my mind what I want to do.  I'm trying to recover from a sinus/allergies thing I've had going on for the past week and a half and I just returned from a 10 day trip up north and we are going south for three days this coming week.  And yesterday I helped a friend get a quilt quilted.  I feel like I'm meeting myself coming and going.  I'll let you know what block I'm making.  Do we know how many we will be required to make yet?  Has it been decided if we are using a white, blue or whatever background?  If I embroider my blocks then I have to figure out how to incorporate the fabric swatch. I can do that, but depending on how many blocks we make I will need almost a fat quarter piece which makes me feel "piggy".  I could match a thread to the color and let that be the coordinating factor.  I've thought about a sailboat and Kristina and I decided that there is no such thing as too many sailboats because they are all different.  I like your idea of adding some traditional blocks.  I think a turtle would be great.  I could do the crab. 

See where my problem is.  My mind is overloading my ability to complete this...lol.  I just wanted to let you know that I am participating. 

Hi Teresa,

I also wondered if we are still doing the bright, with white? Kristina had originally suggested bright stripes and polka dots? If you are sending us a blue square, should our other fabric choices complement it?

Also (as I am veeeery new!), are there any recommendations about the preferred method to use for the blocks? For example, I said I would do umbrellas ..... so far, I have seen two possible patterns. One is a big background square with an umbrella appliquéd on top; the other choice is all pieced (the pattern suggests using rick-rack for the handle .... I had thought applique for the handle might be preferable).

Thanks for any guidance,

Janice

Janice, You do whichever type of block you want. If you want to machine applique go for it. If you want to piece that's fine too.  If you want to do a combination, you can do that too. If you want to use bright fabric with umbrellas on it and make a traditional pieced block you can do that.  This is really anything goes, except for the theme and the block size (12 1/2 raw edge)

If we don't do white backgrounds, what would you all suggest.  I'm just thinking of my summer table cloths and they have white backgrounds with blue and green fish or white background with pink hibiscus.

Oma, take your time and fell better. Then decide.  You have a whole week to figure it out. If you want to machine embroider then that's fine. I can send you a piece of the fabric and you can find thread that either matches or complements the fabric.  This really is anything goes.  Have fun. Play with new ideas.  If you still can't decide and you want to make multiple blocks that would probably work too.  Don't stress out over this, really.  It's fun and easy. I promise.

Raechel, great to have you joining in.  Pinwheels will be great.  I will post a picture of the blue I am including so everybody can get an idea, but I'm afraid the camera will change the hue of it.  I am going to Joann's tomorrow. I will get a couple more yards of it, if they have it, so everybody can have a much larger piece. 

I love these swaps. They are always so much fun.   I don't remember what we used to sign the blocks last time. It wasn't sharpie. It was a very, very fine point white marker with colored writing that came from Hobby Lobby.  I have to buy a new one.  Some people embroidered their blocks and that was really neat.    We did first and last name, and city and state.

Archived