Chalk/pens/pencils for marking

I have a custom quilt that I will be wanting to do some marking on - not a lot but enough to make me nervous about marks not coming out.  Because this is my first custom client quilt, I want to make sure that the marks come out (it is going into a show)   and I'm very nervous about having marks 'reappear'.  I did not know that they sometimes do....  :(

Suggestions for a brand that works for you?    I'm thinking maybe the air erase ones would be a sure thing?

Thanks for the help again.   I'm full of questions this week.   ugh!

If you're marking the quilt off the frame then the marks will need to stay on until you remove them. That situation calls for a blue water-erase pen or the Frixion markers. There are detractors for both markers but most wholecloth instructors opt for the blue water-erase. (Karen McTavish and Cindy Needham both recommend the blue pens and Cindy uses the Frixion as well.) If you'll be marking sections as you go-- perhaps using a stencil-- I would use the purple air-erase pens. I use the purple pens almost exclusively, but humidity will affect how long the marks stay. They last about three days where I live and sometimes I will need to remove the marks with a bit of water if the customer is on the way.

Blue pen marks require full immersion of the quilt for absolute removal.

Purple marks will fade with time or water application--no immersion.

Frixion are iron-off marks.

Dark fabrics can be marked with chalk or a white Bohin or Fons and Porter mechanical marker. The white pencil marks remove with water and abrasion or ironing.

The purple pens can be Collins or Dritz brand but they are identical as to manufacturer. 

I would use white chalk, ( the clover white chalk rolling pen), you know that will come out with no problems, but don't used any of the colors of chalk, I have heard they may not come out.  The disappearing purple pen has had some history with coming back with ironing...and the blue pen of course means that you have to really wet the quilt to get all remnants of ink out, you then run the chance that a fabric may bleed.  I love the frixion pens but again, they have been know to return if the quilt is in temps under freezing and if you ship that quilt and it goes by air, it may happen while up in the sky...they can always be taken out again with a hair dryer but if you are not there to do that when it is hung in a show, it may not get done.  

I use a micro fiber cloth to wipe off the chalk marks and it works really well.

Of course whatever you decide to use, be sure to get your customer's permission to use whatever marking you both decide to use and again, to get the permission in writing is always good just in case something goes wrong...

Swamp cooler?    :lol:  Is that what I think it is?  

Thanks for the help.   I have a bunch of blue pens because I was told they would just come out with a swipe of water.  Then, at a get together yesterday,  a few people said that they 'reappear' sometimes because the ink sometimes gets into the batting.    Someone had an heirloom quilt that was stunning and had a few marks that were still on there.   ugh.   As a newbie, I have enough to worry about (stops, starts, burying threads, straight lines...you know!)  and then the ink thing freaked me a bit.   I will be marking block by block on the frame as I go.   

Thank you for the advice.  AGAIN.    :D

As for the blue marker, yes, full immersion can be required to remove as just swiping with a damp cloth allowed mine to reappear multiple times when I was doing an Angel Baby quilt from a wedding dress. ( I about panicked, but followed up by complete dunk in bleach.....yes BLEACH water in the bath tub)

As for colored chalk, I have had occasion when it appears to have been removed from the cloth, but the thread seems to have taken on the color, and even with the bleach water it was still faintly visible.  I have never had trouble with the white chalk, but the white is not always visible on the fabric. 

The purple was already fading away 24 hours after I traced the wings on the quilt, so I had to just guess.

I was hoping someone would suggest something else as I have another Angel quilt to do, but this time it will be pink and I will not be able to bleach.

I would use the purple air-erase pens. I use the purple pens almost exclusively, but humidity will affect how long the marks stay. They last about three days where I live and sometimes I will need to remove the marks with a bit of water if the customer is on the way.

Linda, I laughed out loud when I read this.  Oh My Gosh, how many times have I done that! 

For the pink use the white pen. You steam it away. But be aware it takes a minute for the white to show up. It goes on clear then turns white when it dries. You don't want to know how I figured that one out.

Swamp cooler -a box that water runs down filters with a fan to blow the air. Evaporative cooler only works in areas with low humidity. New furnace and central air on the list. Motorcycles come first just ask hubby. He works outside all day he doesn't care.

Shirley

I think the blue markers are great as long as you do not need to apply any heat whatsoever ( especially a heater vent, ask me how I know!!) and you either mark completely before sandwiching or are willing to immerse the quilted quilt completely in cool water.

I have recently started using the purple marker again because I am marking lighter fabrics on the fly, but I live in a high humidity area and I have about a half day to get it done.

Colored chalk pens and powder have given me a lot of grief-I avoid them in anything but practice or quilts I know I will wash.

Since this quilt is going into a show, it would be a good idea to soak it and block it to get the blue marker out. Getting it wet helps close up needle holes and lets the threads sink in and show more dimension to the quilting. Color catchers in the water are a must! Getting it wet is scary but might give it a slight edge when facing a judge.

Archived