Loading a Quilt - Horizontal or Vertical

JeannieB

If I am doing an over free hand pattern, I always load sideways. I have to roll to a new area fewer times so that speeds up my quilting. I also divide the width of the quilt by 17 inches (the width of my quilting area with a little overlap) to see how many times I will have to roll. If I get a number like 4.1 rolls I know that I will need to do a partial roll near the end so that I don't end up with only 2" on the final roll. I also keep track of the time it takes to do each roll and then multiply by 4.1 (or what ever) to see how long it will take me to finish it. It motivates me to get going and finish it!

However if I am doing a custom job or something that has a directional quilting design I put it on with the top of the quilt up. If you do a Baptist Fan pattern you have to load the quilt upside down to get the Fans going the right way.

I usually load like Teresa :D

But, once in awhile the quilting will dictate doing it the other way.  Like a t-shirt quilt, I write the graduate's name, school, and "class of 2013" in the sashing between rows.  So since I can't write sideways, I'll have to load it so those sashings are correct for writing words, usually that means I'm pinning the shorter sides to the leaders (most of the t-shirt quilts I do are 4 shirts across and 5 shirts down for the layout.)

Archived