This is a new one on me

This Lenni sure does keep me on my toes and guessing about things.  Today she's up to new tricks.  This is something I have never seen before so I thought I'd better ask all of you.   I am stitching along and  snap the thread breaks. I heard it. By the time I got stopped and looked the machine had rethreaded itself and started sewing again.  NO lie. Here's the picture to prove it.  Anybody have any idea what caused it and what to do about it?

post-1022-0-99880300-1372789667_thumb.jpg

If the thread breaks below the needle plate, when it snaps and there is enough of a tail of top thread, it can be pulled through the assembly and continue stitching. It didn't rethread itself. :)

This has happened to me several times. Meticulously clean (WD-40) and oil the bobbin assembly and check for burrs that cause the thread to snap below the plate. Check the hole in the needle plate for burrs as well. And look for lint in the case that Matt mentioned.

It's magical when that happens!

Teresa,

Everyone's on the right track, and Linda's on target with suspecting a burr. When the machine appears to break the thread and then just picks up and starts sewing again, something in the hook assembly is actually cutting the thread, then hanging on long enough for the loop to form again behind the needle and pick up sewing where it left off. The most common reason is a burr on the hook itself (really carefully check the part of the hook that looks like the thumb of a mitten on your left hand--180 degrees opposite of the sharp point of the hook). Also check what I call the front "rim" of the hook assembly...the part of the silver hook that you can feel with your fingernail all around the bobbin basket. Not the flat part of the hook (where a tire tread might be if you consider the hook assembly to resemble a tire) but where the tire's rim would be.

Also check the hook retaining finger for depth or scratches or scuffs. If you find anything whatsoever, buff it out with fine emery cloth and then give the hook a thorough cleaning with the WD-40 bath to remove any filings or residue. Keep us posted!

I have had that problem off and on, and have found the bur Under the Needle Plate.  It wasn't dirty, having just

been cleaned, so it drove us nuts until we took the needle plate off, and lay it down, then accidentally snagged a Qtip.

Sanded it with jewelers emery and problem hasn't reoccurred since.  

I really think it happened when I broke a needle, and the thread just hadn't hit at that particular angle to catch before.

Thanks though for the info on what is common to do. 

Rita

Archived