Using rulers with George

SueB2

Has any one been doing ruler work with George?  If so what rulers and sizes do you use and have any of you used the fine line rulers?

What do you think of them and what sizes are you using with those?

Thanks.

Still waiting to find out when I get to have a George.  This has been an ordeal.

Started May 14 trying to find a George in Houston I could see.  That took a month.

Ordered one June 17 and still waiting to find out when one will be ready and would ship.

Also what feet do you like on the George?

SueB

Sue, so sad that you're having to wait...  When he comes you'll be doing the happy dance!!!

My favorite foot is the open toe.  I way prefer being able to see quite close to the needle without looking down into the middle of the closed toe foot.

And even though you haven't asked, my favorite thread (lately) is So Fine 50#.  For all purpose quilting, I'm getting the very best stiches with this thread. 

How's the clean out of the sewing room coming?

It isn't the sewing room it is the computer room with my hubbys old stuff he doesn't even use.  Since I don't have an arrival date, he just keeps thinking about cleaning it up.

He needs a dead line to makie it a priority.  all ready cleaned up my stuff.  Can't put in sewing room as it is too small and is also the guest room.

Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure if it's searchable, but this topic was discussed a while ago. Until someone who uses rulers with their George chimes in, I remember that they used grippers on the back of the ruler to securely position it, and then held the ruler while moving the fabric along the edge of the ruler. I was amazed at the ingenuity and skill needed to use a ruler this way! :)

lol,  SueB  It is time to clean the room out for George !!

Now go tell your hubby that you've been told it was time to clean the room out!   Twon't be a lie, sorta.. um :(

Just tell him    :D  :D

Rita

Everyone is right...I have used Fine Line rulers with George...both the straight and the curved versions.  They both worked well with the high profile foot (I prefer the open toe) but I will have to practice a lot more to improve my accuracy.  It was a challenge to stay on a line or stay in the ditch.  The Fine Line rulers have little handles to make them easier to grip and also a line of velcro-type stuff on the bottom of the ruler. Your new George will arrive with a low profile, closed foot which is great...I used it steadily for five years.  Now there are additional feet available a la carte from APQS.  For regular free motion on George, I now prefer the low profile open toe foot.  Hope this helps.  And hope you receive your new BFF soon!  Nancy in Tucson

Finally got the call. saying it could ship it 2 weeks or sooner if one becomes available.  Told hubby get moving that huge desk will take awhile to get out plus a lot of computers and printers need to be recycled .

We shall see how fast that gets done.

Several have mentioned so=fine thread, any one use Glide and how do you like it?

Thanks

Woo Hoo...congrats Sue!   I provide a couple cones of Superior So Fine (50 weight) to each of my George customers.  George loves that thread and so it's perfect for the learning curve.  Once comfortable with the machine, they move on to slipperier threads (like Glide) and different thread weights.

and I am one of MrsA's lucky customers... she is right about the So Fine 50 weight to start with.  My George seems to like this thread the most. 

After a break-in period I moved up and down the thread weight scale.  I have worked with 100 weight Invisifil poly thread for tiny work and also on a project where the thread needed to disappear.  I've also gone up the scale to 30 weight So Fine for a heavier line.  I sometimes use hoops/rings to steady the quilt under the needle and sometimes only my hands with a drop or two of glycerin to make them tacky.

There are some recent posts about hoops you might check out.  I like Sharon Schamber's rings for this but I've been using them a long time, even before I started with George.

So happy that you got the call Sue! 

ordered the sew fine #50 from Sew thankful and it is on back order til  23.  Got email yesterday saying Geo is on the way then a phone call 5 min later saying opps we sent wrong Geo will send another tomorrow. Still have not got second email so don't know when he will be on his way.  Hubby hasn't done anything to get his junk out of Geo new room so I may be setting him up in the middle of the living room at this rate.

ordered the rulers now just waiting to be able to play with them.  I have a couple of the halox.  Got them at the Houston Quilt festival last year.  Don't work on my domestic as the machine sits on the edge of my table and the hoops don't have enough support.

Sue, you didn't mention it but did you order one of the ruler feet for Georgette?  The standard foot has a very low profile and it would be easy (especially with a beginner at the wheel) for that foot to jump up on top of a ruler.  This might damage the ruler and/or the timing of your machine.  Just wanted to make sure that you have ordered one of the high profile feet for ruler work...the foot comes closed or open toe.    Happy for you!  Nancy in Tucson

Mrs A.

Yes I ordered the kit with the 3 different feet.  Figured I would be covered that way.

finally got second email that the right Georgette shipped so I will call Mon to see whey it will arrive.

Hubby finally started messing with the old computers now if he will just keep it up till the room is cleared out.

Hi Sue,

I used my Fine Line straight ruler the other day and did stitch in the ditch.  I didn't think I would be able to "free motion" stitch in the ditch but I did and it worked.  The only thing that I found is that I had to pay attention to keep the ruler next to the foot and then judge the distance to the "ditch".  It worked and certainly was quicker that changing the foot on my domestic machine, winding bobbins with the same thread - etc.  I was off in a couple places but no more than using my domestic machine.

I'm also loving my Martelli quilting rings.  I got them at Quilting by the Bay - www.quiltingbythebay.com.  So far I have only used the large one but need to put the small one on too.

One thing I discovered was that I didn't order the horizontal spool holder when I purchased my machine.  There are so many threads out there that are not on a cone - or I don't need that much thread.  I have been using the threads that came with my machine and ones I have collected so I am sure learning a lot.  The blog yesterday about bobbin tension is very helpful if you haven't read it.

Have fun with Georgette!  I am loving George and it is way too late to rename him.

Sue

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Nancy:

Since you are a newbie, I hope what I'm about to say is not too elementary for you.  If you have rulers or templates designed for use with longarm machines (they are thicker than the standard rotary cutting rulers) then I would think a sticky strip of the velcro hook on the bottom of the ruler might work.  You also need one of the thicker profile feet that are available with George.  I would not attempt any ruler work with thin rulers or the thin foot that comes on George.  If your foot jumps the ruler while you are quilting, chaos may ensue.  :o   Many of us also use a Halo (from Sharon Schamber) or the quilting hoops by Martelli (spelling?) to stabilize the quilt sandwich while we are moving the fabric.  It is also possible to stitch in the ditch free motion...you just need to go fairly slowly.  Hope this helps,  Nancy in Tucson

Archived