I have been asked to make a memory quilt for a client with photos on fabric. When she brought them to me, the pictures are several different sizes and most of them are small...4x6 or smaller. In your experience, is it better to just machine appliqué these onto fabric or to try to piece them with sashing between? Here's a picture (though blurred...sorry) of a possible layout to give you an idea of what sizes I'm talking about. Thanks for your helpful suggestions! Denise :)

post-2154-0-35313000-1374073680_thumb.jpg

I really like the sashing in between, not appliqueing it down.  You could sew borders on each picture to make it a uniform size (the same size as the largest photo with borders would be).  For instance, if the largest photo is an 8x11 then sew borders (sashing) on it to make it finish at a 12½" block.  Then you could take several of the smaller photos and add borders and sew them together to equal 12½"  or 6½" which could be sewn with another set to make a 12½" block.  I hope that makes sense.  Mostly it gives it a uniformed look and it makes it easier for you to put them together.  Did she have a preference on fabric?  Is there a theme?  I couldn't read the picture with the blue ribbon so I don't know what it stands for, but you could use fabric that goes with that.  Or a color of fabric that accents the photos.  If the client has a favorite shirt or something then you could incorporate it into blocks to fill out the quilt. 

Denise, a family member brought me one she made using small photos machine appliqued on to blocks. She had used lightweight fusible to hold them in place before appliquing. Wiith normal handling, the fusible let loose, and when I started quilting the foot would catch the edges and roll it over. It took me so long on the first one because of that. For the second one I was prepared. Before I loaded it on the frame I heat set each appliqued block/section with my heat press to ensure they were in place tight before quilting. It made a world of difference.

I can visualize a neat modern style layout using the photos as individual, varying size blocks interspersed throughout the top. That could be reaaly neat! Best wishes, whichever way you choose to do!

My choice would be to frame each picture and create a block with each or a row of some.  The whole quilt/wallhanging? would be more flexible with the sewn in block style than with the fusible.  It would also take care of the little hairy threads from the edges that could come after wear and other stroking the quilt in appreciation.

Those are small!  I would put fabrics around each one to create blocks, maybe not all the exact size and shape, but something to add some size and stabilize the pictures. Then I would assemble it just like any other block quilt, either in rows with sashings or wth offset placements.  That will also give you something to quilt. You probably won't quilt right over the pictures, especially since they are so small.

Marci, do you live in Michigan by any chance?  Your picture looks similar to a place we pass when we go visit relatives up there.

Edited...

Hi Marci,

Or Jane,

Or Walter,

Or Denise,

If it were me, I'd make them into blocks instead of appliqué.

I'm going to try and attach a Pinterest link so you have a visual.

The measurements might be off, but you could take your largest photo, make it into a block and figure you own sizes from there.

I think it will hold up better this way and look great!

Please post a pic when it's done.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/megfazio/9314791862/

9314791862_01bb0efbf2.jpg

image by quiltymeg, on Flickr

You are absolutely right, Marci.

My apologies to Denise.

A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Meg, dear, I believe you meant Denise, the original poster. :) I do like the layout you added, though!
Hi Marci,

If it were me, I'd make them into blocks instead of appliqué.

Archived