I am ready to formally open a quilting business.  I have been using the pin name JunBugs Quilt Garden however when I search the web the following comes up. Do you mean June Bugs Quilt Garden and the web site for that is www.junebugquilting.com/.  I am afraid if I continue with this name all my clients may go to the above instead. However, when I pull up Judith's - Judith Montano and other Judith's come up.  So I am taking a vote and need some suggestions:

1. JunBugs Quilt Garden

2. Judith's Quilt Garden

3. Judith's Quilt Studio

4. Judith's Quilting Studio

5. Judith Washburn's Quilt Studio

6. Any Suggestions

I think the first is most catchy, however, I think it will also be associated with "Children's Quilts" only and I don't want that. 

So, I am asking for all opinions and suggestions.  I need to have this completed by the end of July as I am going for Business License next month.

Thanks for your feedback, I know I can count on ya'll.

Oh Judith, bummer. I know just how you feel because somebody took Chickenscratch Quilting right out from under mewhile I was out of business for that year and a half.

I think JunBug quilting is cute and catchy, but do you want to be more professional. If so Judith Washburn Quilting is more professional. It depends on the image you want to portray I guess. 

I didn't use my name because there about 10 million Teresa Taylors out there in the world.

What about "Judith's Quilt Garden Studio".  That would be my first choice, but then would also require some kind of garden theme.

Or "June-bugs Quilt Studio,  'by Judith Washburn' "..  I would use a smaller font for the by line, and post it closely under the Studio name. 

I don't think you'd need any one theme to use well.

"Judiths Quilting Studio"  would be friendly yet professional.

JMHO  "Judith Washburn's Quilt Studio"  etc. would sound too formal and sort of constraining, unless you think they need to know what Judith they are looking for, without selecting your site.

I've entered a lot of names to finally get my blog name.  Others were already in use.  Hard telling what I will get when I finally get my web

site working.

I'm not meaning to be demeaning in any way..  just my thoughts as they fall off the ends of my fingers.

Good luck,

Rita

Congratulations on the big step to formally open your business.  Regarding your business name, we all know of famous quilters.  Some are on this Forum and they could add some insight.   I don't know if they have a fun business name or just their name for their business name.  I would want Judith Washburn to be acknowledged when there are conversations about who quilted their special quilt.  I would want there to be no confusion.  So #5, Judith Washburn's Quilt Studio or just Judith Washburn would be fine with me.  

Congrats on opening your business. After 5 years most of my customers still don't know or use my business name, they refer to me and my business by my first name. For that reason I'd pick something short with Judith in it, and make sure the .com is available and buy it at the same time. Good Luck.

Terry

You should probably avoid any name with an apostrophe in it -- so many people don't know its proper use (and yes, "its" is possessive; "it's" is a contraction for "it is"), and it may be confusing. Personally, since you asked, I like Judith Washburn Quilt Studio -- it's professional-sounding, and it keeps your name out there. Think "Elizabeth Arden Cosmetics." Possession is implied, but perfectly clear. Or Judith Washburn Quilts?

Congratulations on starting your business!

Barbara

I like Judith Washburn Quilts. There's no guessing who it belongs to, and no one else will have registered the name. While you're at it, register your name as a .com. I have several URLs that all point to the same site, depending on who the customer is, but the easiest for people to remember is DarleneEpp.com. It only cost me $15 each per year to keep the URLs. I've used DirectNic.com since 2000 and have been very happy with their prices and their service.

As others have suggested, a name that includes your full name and what your business is (Judith Washburn Quilting. Judy Washburn Quilt Studio. Quilting by Judith Washburn, etc.) will be the most professional and effective to help people find you online.

The other side of the coin is--if you aren't planning a far-flung quilting empire that includes selling products, teaching, etc--name your business whatever pleases you. Nothing wrong with JunBugs Quilting as long as your info on cards and online shows how to contact you.

Thanks everyone for your advise.  I  agree using my name will be the most effective and the easiest for customers to remember.  The winner is "Judith Washburn Quilting Studio".  I search for websites and there is non with with name.  When I expand to a store front then the name will apply.  I will let you all know when I have the site up and running. 

Again - "Thank You All"

Archived