Backing Is Too Small

JeannieB

when you choose to sew strips on a backing so you can quilt to the edge, how do you sew the strips on to the backing? Right sides together? Just lay the other strip on top and stitch? Whats your method so they come off easily after you're through quilting? Does it really matter? Thx.

I am going through this right now too. Have a customer that started hand quilting and ended up with lots of "issues" so she sent me the top, I have unquilted it (and it was almost completed) and now am trying to get it loaded. I am not sure I am going to be able to get it loaded even strips added.

Recently I had the same issue with a trimmed top that my customer had started quilting on her DSM and gave up. The backer was 1 inch larger on the sides and several inches longer the other way. I loaded so the short way was on the sides and used two doubled 12" x 3" strips of fabric that I pinned to both edges. Then I clamped to that. As I advanced I unpinned and repositioned the strips. I didn't want to sew strips to the sides. It was only 42" square and this method worked well.

The quilt top and the backing are exactly the same, in fact in a couple of places the top is already a little larger, does that give you a hint on the top's issues.  Think I will add strips all around and not quilt right up to the edge but leave some space, then I should be okay.

ummm...probably really unprofessional....but years ago I made a huge queen sized quilt  (it was supposed to be a pillow but I was new...and sort of over bought fabric!)  The backing was too small width wise....I had bought quilt backing fabric and thought it would work, without measuring the top of course.......so...I took some fabric that sort of went with it...and stitch a four inch strip down each side....turns out...it really has worked great over the years....no need to guess which is the length or width of the quilt when I put it back on the bed...those side strips really give me a clue!  Could the backing be split and a strip inserted with the owners consent?  Lin

Archived