I have never done channel quilting. I want to do it on a my wreath quilt for the fair. it is an applique and inbetween the connecting blocks is an open area that I thought to put in some wreaths, so how does one get the effect of two rings together and consistent? I have a circle ruler, but that is only one size. I do have the Circle Lord, will that work? Then when you do molar feathers around the circle, do they absolutley have to connect to the ring or do you let them float?

post-6018-0-30791000-1375981373_thumb.jpg

I can't really answer your question, but that is one beautiful quilt! My guess is that the circle lord would work great, if you can find the exact center of the block, you could do two rings, the size you need. Good luck. Can't wait to see it quilted!

Peggy

Channel quilting is simply straight lines, which form "channels" across the surface of the quilt, so I am not sure how your wreath idea fits in with that.

I have a Quiltazoid, which is similar to a Circle Lord. I use it all the time to do exactly what you are describing for your wreaths. Sometimes I echo the first circle 1/4 inch away, depending on how much space I need to fill.

You can do your molar feathers either way...connecting to the circle or not. Draw it out to see which way you like best. I like to connect them to the stitched line. I've never done them on the inside of a circle, so I'd have to practice how they would connect at the beginning/ending point.

Pretty blocks...lots of work on the applique. I quilt everything literally to death, so I'd do a fill behind all the applique, echo your feather wreath and fill right up to the echo. Lots of fill and lots of work, but it will be gorgeous.

I read your post to mean you want to place wreaths in the space made by the four pieced blocks where the seams meet. You can use any circular object to mark the circles. Look in the kitchen for saucers, lids, bowls, etc that will meet your needs. Or use paper and a compass to try out several sizes until you're happy with the layout. Remember you will need three circles--one for the spine and one each for the outer and inner edges of the wreath. Use your drawing to cut templates in cardboard or template plastic and use them to mark. You'll need to purchase a circle template for stitching the spine unless you are comfortable freehanding it. You won't need to stitch the two boundary circles, just mark them.

As for making the feathers touch the circles--that's your choice. Either way will work as long as all wreaths are stitched the same. As Lynn mentioned, an echo of the outside will accent the wreaths and give you a place to start and stop your grid work. Even if your blocks are large, the area for the wreaths is not, and with an echo added, the wreaths will need to be small--a great look for this applique quilt.

If you are comfortable quilting wreaths, you may not even need to stitch the spine. I sometimes mark it and then stitch the feathers making sure to slide down the spine mark to fill it in. Just a thought.

I heard the term "channel" from Lisa Calle when she was here in Spokane.  so I thought that is what I was to use.  The 1/4" double lines is the key here.  Thank you for the assist.  Will post photos when done.  I am excited to work on this quilt.  After 9 years in the process, will be great to get it finished.  I may have to get some circle templates.  I do know Lisa calle is coming out with some new ones, but Linda taylor has some as well.  Will be getting me some.  The small circles are a whole new ball game. 

Question then as well, do you think curved diamonds might be better than wreaths.  I do not want to overkill with wreaths and doing a scalloped border with feathers in it with the double 1/4" lines (channel) on the outer borders to keep the curves flowing.  the fabric even leans itself with the colors of the leaves to the circle flow. 

Archived