Dry-erase marker

Hi DebLou, I don't know how to get it out, but I sure feel for you. It's so easy to get pens confused. I put my permanent markers in a tin, in a desk drawer so that I don't accidently pick one up by mistake. If I were you, I would consult a drycleaners and see if they had any tips if no one here has one.

Oh gawsh...I don't know if we can help you with this. The last time one of my clients did this to her quilt, we tried EVERY chemical we had to get it out and were un-succesful. I was told of a product that removes permanet markers though and will share that with you, but I have no idea if it works for dry erase markers. For sharpie markings you can try Amodex. You can read about it and order it at http://www.amodexink.com/

I wish you luck and please keep us informed of any success you have.

Thanks for all the support. I'm going to try different cleaning products on some scrap material. No, Sue, this wasn't a piece of scrap that I was marking on. I'm quilting a baby quilt for my great nephew. If I can't get it out I'll think of something else to do with it. It's in the middle of a white cloud. Maybe a smiley face or something. Thanks for the candle.

Sherry, I did go to the website you suggested. Actually, it looks promising. It mentions permanent and white board markers.

Linda, I hope your dad can come up with something. You would think there would be something out there because a lot of business people use the dry-erase in their meetings and I'm sure someone has gotten the ink on their clothes at some point.

And thanks Pattyjo, you and Linda are thinking alike.

Thanks again - I love this chat board.

DebLou

Babies love ribbons on their quilts. Here's an idea to cover up the marker. Pretend that my beige fabric strip is a ribbon. I just stitched a box on the ribbon, then folded it back and stitched another box, then repeated. With this technique you can go in any shape. You might add more than just to cover your marker and make it look like a planned design element.

Vicki

You all are so great!! What wonderful ideas. The cloud is an applique but I would have to take a lot of quilting out to get to it in order to re-do the applique. Although, it is still an option. I also thought of stitching a smaller cloud just inside of it to cover the marker.

Called the dry cleaner and he seemed stumped. In fact was told to ask a professional. (??)

I really like the idea of the photo. The binki holder is a great idea too. My nephew is 10mo. old so I'm not sure if he needs a binki anymore but it is an idea that I will remember for future baby quilts. Thanks Vicki & Pattyjo.

Bekah, I think you're right about the candles. Whatever method I use will make the quilt more unique.

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. I haven't tried to get it out with anything yet, trying it out on scraps first.

You are all great, thanks!

DebLou

DebLou, Hi! I see you have allot of great ideas here from everyone!! They all sound good! I was thinking to applique a butterfly or something in the cloud over the stain. I finally got ahold of my dad (the dry cleaner) and it's funny, he too said he has never encountered this problem. Maybe business men are more careful than we think! :D He did say to look on the pen or package to see if it says water soluable (sp?) If it is, you can probably wash it out with soap and water. You could try that with a wet white washcloth and some tide or whatever. Make sure you use a dry soap if you are just trying to work on the one spot instead of washing the whole quilt. Liquid soaps have a tendendcy to stick around! Hope this helps! I think with all the wonderful ideas here, you should come up with something good!! linda

DebLou,

I have done similar to what you are thinking of doing-an applique patch on top of an applique. If two applique layers are to stiff/heavy, maybe cut out the center of the bottom applique before putting the second applique on top. Babies love texture, so if you have scraps of minkee, flannel, etc, it might make a nice applique patch. Raw edge applique also can add texture.

Nancy

Millie

Northern MN (Brrrr...)

We have 2 small dry erase boards for grandkids at our house, and 6 markers for them to use (saves on paper and clean up). Of course you have the mis-haps with a 2 and 3 year old, I use SHOUT to pre treat marker stains and let soadk in the washer awhile too. It usually all comes out the first try, but check before putting in the dryer.

These days there are markers for kids that have washable ink. This reminds me of a story. When our daughter was about five I made a beautiful canopy, pillow sham, bed skirt, and draperies for her bedroom. The coverlet was all white. She used her markers that have delicious smells like grape, cherry, orange, lime, and chocolate to decorate her coverlet. Oh my!

Vicki

Okay, I haven't read all of the information here but I did have an experience with white cotton towels when my husband was in the hospital. I wrote his name on all of his linens because his needed to be kept separate -- but I really wanted the writing to stay on the towels. However, we found when straight alcohol was used on them, it removed some of the permanent pen. Some are only faded but two, I know, have half of his name removed -- it ain't short (Augustine) -- so..... but it happened within the first day or two. Hope you find something.

Archived