Checking into starting my own business

I am checking into getting a long arm and starting my own business. I would appreciate any advice that anyone can give me. I haven't decided what machine would be best for me yet, but my husband is in the Navy so it would need to be something that could be moved every couple years or so. I don't know if that will be a problem. I am not even sure where to start to get a business going. right now I think I am leaning towards the HQ16 but I don't really know what the other machines can do that it cannot so any advice on that would be great too.

You are not getting much of a response so I will jump in. Most of us are partial to APQS, since that is the machine most of us use on this site, although there are some who have other brands and models. You can begin by running down throught this forum and looking at the other posts of people starting their own business. There is extensive information here on the subject. You should check the quilting needs in your area to see how many quilters there are and how much work is out there. Go to you local quilt store and talk to them, but don't just take their word for it. You could call quilters in your area to find out how long the wait is for quilting, but ask them if that is all they do or if they are employed outside the home. That make a difference on turn around.

You said that you will be moving every couple of years so that will affect your business, just something to think about. It takes a little while to get established.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mary Beth

You might want to check out this group http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/machine_quilting_business/

Linda Taylor's book The Ultimate Guide to Longarm Machine Quilting: How to Use Any Longarm Machine: Techniques, Patterns and Pantographs: Starting a Business: Hiring a Longarm Machine Quilter

There's another good book but the author and title escape me at the moment.

Hi jmuehler,

Welcome to the APQS forum. Not all of us are APQS owners. We have Gammill girls, HQ-16 quilters, shortarmers and longarm wanna-bes. This site is a good start to ask questions, compare brands, learn techniques and just chat.

We have all been where you are, wondering what to buy. I encourage you to do research based on your budget and lifestyle. Once you commit to doing this, it will take you some time to get up to speed on your machine and to build up a client base. But we have quilters here who have clients that mail them their quilts to be quilted so PCS moves are not a show-stopper. Part of your research should include some discussion with you husband, the sailor. If his rating (job skill) will ever cause him to be assigned overseas, then you must factor in power differences in foreign countries. APQS, as I'm sure other manufaturers do as well, has machines all over the world. But moving from US power to say, European power, may be tricky or require transformers, etc.

All midarms and long arms are sized by the table length. And the table length is dictated by the length of the roller. With APQS machines, the rollers are metal and do not collapse or come apart for packing. The weight of the machine with the table will not put a big dent in your weight allowance for moving though I would hang onto the box that the machine head comes in and build a long crate for the rollers rather than trust the movers with them. The machines come in 8, 10, 12 and 14 foot varieties. A 14-foot machine allows you to quilt a king size bedspread but it also takes up a LOT of room. If you live in Navy housing, the size may need to be a consideration.

Business license, do you plan to get one? If you move from state to state, how will that effect your license? That's another thing to research.

If you are a stay at home Mom, this may be a perfect job for you. Navy wives would be an enviable client base for any quilter. :)

Do your research. It took me months to make the leap. And good luck with your decision. :)

Linda

DPCM USN Retired

aka Ramona Quilter

Archived