George is comming

quiltcatt

Hi everyone

I looked at sit down quilt machines a few months and saw George at the Grand Rapids AQS show.  Took the plunge and ordered and now I'm waiting.  2 weeks for George but 4-5 weeks for Tracy table.

Thanks to everyone for information on this forum.  The Info. helped

Nancy

Quiltcatt

• 1 month later...

I'm almost there.  I have George, I have the Tracy table but still 5 more days to wait on the plexiglass insert.  I am so ready!!!  it's hard to wait.

I'm taking some free motion quilting classes locally and have dome some things on my home machine.  I have things ready to try on George.

Nancy

Quiltcatt

I bought a George instead of a stand-up longarm because I was already a proficient quilter on my domestic machine & didn't want to re-learn how to machine quilt...moving the machine over the fabric is a very different skill than moving the fabric under the needle.  As opposed to my domestic machines, the size of the throat on George means significantly less wrestling with the quilt sandwich.  For me, that has translated into less pain in my back, shoulders & hands.  You should know that some people who quilt on the stand-up longarm machines do so sitting down on a stool.  

Honestly, if you quilt for very long periods of time as I do,  there is some unavoidable wear & tear on the body no matter what machine you use.  Choose what is best for your budget, your space, and the kind of quilting you want to do.  Then set up your machine as ergonomically as you can...height of machine & table, comfort of chair or stool, forgiving flooring, sufficient lighting...all of these can help make your quilting a more comfortable experience.  If you are only quilting for yourself, George is a terrific option.  If you plan to go into business quilting for others, the stand-up machines with frames are a better choice.

If you have any additional questions about George specifically, please post them here.  We are happy to provide the information for you.   Nancy in Tucson   (George rep)

• 4 weeks later...

My husband put 4 by 4 wood strips on mine to raise the machine.  I am tall and have had neck problems ( have a plate in my neck now).  So with the sewing chair (which is also high) I am more comfortable now and able to get a better view of what I am doing with George.

Hopefully you can try him out and see how it works for you.

Archived