Thread Breaking with Warm & Natural Batting

My upper thread keeps breaking every 6" or so. I have changed the needle, changed the bobbin, changed the tension and it still keeps breaking. I am using the same type of thread in top and bottom that I always use. The only variable is that I am using warm & natural batting for the first time. Could it be the batting?

Hi tannak, I've had few problems myself with warm and natural but that doesn't mean you couldn't.  Is the batting laid the right direction (needling)? Could be a bad roll/

Could your thread possibly be getting hung up back by the cone/spool?  It sounds like it might be, and when this happens to me I usually need to walk around to the back of my machine and check around the cone.

The thread that comes on the cone that has the bottom that you pull down and pop back up to secure the thread for storage gets me every time. If I don't pop it back up my thread catches in the little notch of that base and my thread breaks every time (slow learner :) )

Try some silicone on your thread or on a piece of cotton batting tucked into the first thread guide to help the thread move smoothly on through.

Hope you soon figure it out and get back to stitching!

I've checked and rechecked and my thread isn't getting hung up on the spool or anywhere else. I've tried a different thread and that breaks too. just don't know what to do. I've read on a site about Warm & Natural that thread can break and a smaller needle might help so I've ordered a pkg. of size 3.5 needles and am waiting for them to arrive.

Meanwhile I have two quilts needing to be quilted and this one is loaded on my frame. I feel like ripping out what I've done so far and just giving it back to her. What would you do?

Have you checked your thread guides? I don't know the age/use of your machine but possibly you have a wear area in your guides that need replaced? 

Possibly the batting is upside down, and that could cause you some issues. More than anything you would get pokies from that, though.

Do you see any debris or excess seed stuff in the batting? 

I'd hate to see you tear out what you are doing.  You can always take the quilt off and remount it, even if you are doing a panto.  So hold off on frogging, and if you need to get to your other quilts, just switch them out for now.  You may want to do that anyway and run some test sandwiches through with different batting, fabric and thread to see if it still continues.

Let us know how it goes.  I feel your pain!

I think I've solved my problem. I had burrs on my thread guide so I switched the front and back thread guides and just guide thread through top hole in back thread guide ( it doesn't have a burr). Hadn't mentioned that I was using Isacord thread and I finally realized that I need to put it on a horizontal spool holder. I haven't used Isacord for years and just forgot about it. Thanks for all your suggestions and support!

Archived