Trip Around The World

Hi all ! I have a queen-size Trip Around The World quilt to do. This is the customer's first quilt, and she did a wonderful job. Its nice and flat and square :) She wants quilting that gives the top some motion, but doesnt want to pay custom prices. As a result I am wondering what to do with it. I have not yet conquered pantographs, so my low end quilting has all been freehand stuff. Its worked out well, but this quilt needs something besides a puzzle meander! I have been considering rows of feathering, which I do fairly well and are freehand except for the spine. Im wondering if anyone has any other suggestions? I wish I had a camera so I could post pictures. Maybe Santa will bring me one :)

Thanks!!

Cynthia

Cynthia: I have a TATW on my 2004 custom album on webshots: http://community.webshots.com/photo/111874133/197289130iuSBlC

I did a lot of SID but in the area that had the 5 tans, I used King Tut variegated and did either leaves or freehand feathers (can't remember and can't tell from the picture).

Not sure if the picture helps but hopefully, it will give you some ideas.

Have you thought of doing the Line Dancing technique by Diana Phillips? You can get some really spectacular results by just repeating a simple curve along the seamlines in a continuous motion. It is an easy technique that yields a great look without too much time and effort.

Line dancing is a technique I have not been exposed to yet. I am going to get the book after the holidays because its becoming more and more apparent that I need it in my repetoire :)

One of the reasons I like the idea of the feather, or the leafy free form design, is that I wont have to specially treat each and every square. If she doesnt want to pay for custom then I want this to work up fairly fast. I am going to decide for sure once I lay it out over the rollers, but I am thinking I may put a row or two of terry twist between the feather rows to stabalize the quilt and give the feathers a little more contrast. I have 3 lines of stitching on the one on the machine, and a baby quilt to do, then the TATW goes on. Once I decide what I am doing I will post again :)

thanks for responding!!

Cynthia

Hi Cynthia,

Have a look at Darleen Epps Log cabin with the freehand feathers. I have used this technique on a TAW also. It goes nise and fast and you fill it all in as you go. No going back to do something else.

First you pick a row of the TWA to do the feathers in and throw off some swirls and echo them and the feathers as you go. The picture is on the site here.

http://www.apqs.com/photoquality11.htm

;)

sandy

Archived