Skipping stitches only on batik fabrics

Any advice would be welcome, even though I feel like I have tried everything!

The stitch skipping only happens on batik quilts -- never ever on anything else.  I feel like it may be time to totally stop taking them.

I am using So Fine thread in the bobbin and Superior King Tut in the top.  I have changed the needle, the needle size, oiled everything, re-threaded everything, tightened, loosened, etc. etc. etc.  Now it's 1/4 of the way done, it's King Size! and it's just starin' me down daring me to finish it!  Arrrghhh!!!

Thank you everyone for your advice.

Tori

Have you tried rotating your needle clockwise just a tiny bit so that the the eye is at 6:35 instead of 6:30? This has solved problems with king tut for me.

I feel for you-- it's a terrible thing to be staring down a big quilt with lots to go and stitch problems!!!!

Batiks have a high thread count and sometimes residual wax which can make it hard for the needle to pierce the top fabric. If you have some silicon spray, use that on the top fabric to loosen up the weave a bit.

Tighten the top and then back off a bit so there is some slack. Use lots of Sewer's Aid on the King Tut and I always had better luck by getting a closer match of weights of threads with a thick cotton. I used to wind Signature cotton to use with King Tut. Too late for you to change the bobbin thread now, of course--sorry. 

If you're getting skipped stitches only in one direction--like when pushing away from you--that's an issue that can be corrected by adjusting the hopping foot (if you're using a thick batting) or with a tweak of the timing.

I know some people  are in love with King Tut, but of all the threads I have tried it gives me the biggest headaches.  My theory is that with all the threads out there, why use one that is a pain.  The new So Fine variegated gives the same look with NO headaches.  I've used it on various batik quilts with no trouble from start to finish.  Follow Linda's advice for this quilt, then give a different thread a try before you give up on batik.

I had a terrible time with King Tut and my Millie...........finally just gave up.   The newer varigated threads like Superior's So Fine, Lava, Fantastico,  & (Fil Tec) Affinity work well for me and just as pretty as the King Tut colors.   I used King Tut exclusivly with my Handi Quilter, but Millie really rebelled !   

I don't know if maybe a light misting of the batiks with water would help but it may be worth a try. I had an odd stitch skipping problem recently (the first time ever) and unplugged my machine from the wall, waited 30 seconds and plugged it back in. Amazingly, that solved the issue. But I don't have an APQS. Mine's a Nolting 24 Pro. Sometimes the oddest things can be the fix!

I have found sprit zing the batiks with a little water makes them easier to work with. Of course you have to be careful the colors won't bleed. I usually spritz the backing as I roll it while loading and I don't iron my backing a, just spritz and roll back and forth. If it had batik top and back I would say it was pushing the backing instead of piercing it. Try sprit zing the backing. I find more problems with batiks when humidity is low like when not running the swamp cooler in Wyoming. Just noticed a difference after draining and winterizing, so dry air might also contribute to it. I started having problems with some thread that ran fine all summer also.

Shirley

Archived