Circus tent center - what should I have done?

tracyv

Just when I thought I was getting the hang of this, and have nailed the process for for "wavy borders", I was thrown a curve ball.  Did a quilt with a center that looked quite a bit like a circus tent.  The borders were much smaller than the center, so there was no place to go with the excess fabric.  It was touch and go, but lots of steam and starch later and a really big feather, I got all the extra tucked in, but not sure if there is a better way to handle this.  (The quilt was set on point, and am thinking that this contributed to the excess fabric).  What could I have done to anticipate this?  The borders actually measured even, and rolled on the frame straight, but it was obvious from the start that the center was a mess.  Suggestions for next time???

Starch and steam before you load, or send it home to have the correct size borders put on it. You can sometimes put a really puffy batting in and that helps, I have stuffed a block before, meaning I added another piece of batting to one block, since she made it fit. It had a pleat in the seam, so obviously there wasn't much I could do with it. I starched, steamed and stuffed.

Shirley

Archived