Mom's Roses Tote on Millie

Longarms aren't just for quilts. Made this tote for Mom so she would have a sample of longarm stitching to show her friends. She loves roses and has several plants in her garden. This panel of roses had her name all over it and looks great with the red print with love words, and a small rose print I put on the inside.

The pattern is called "Wave Purse or Tote" by Laura Denison Designs at www.lauradenisondesigns.com, 24956 SE 279th St., Maple Valley, WA 98038. This is such a great pattern in that there are pockets made by vertically stitching the opposing waves. Also, there is a purse size too.

I changed it by using very thick interfacing like is used to make those fabric bowls. The straps are 29" from the top edge of the wave to lower wave. The interfacing was a challenge to stitch but my Viking went through two layers, then two of batting, six of fabric, plus seams. Yea!

My Millennium, set on a long stitch, threaded with Superior #7 gold metallic, stitched through a sandwich of fabric batting and the thick interfacing with ease. Used Bob's polyester bobbin in red. Stitched around the roses, then put a roses stencil on with that wonderful powder chalk. After I took it off the machine, I trimmed it into the wave. The inside opposing wave sandwich was done next and only used the thick interfacing in the high part of the wave and stitched roses all over it.

When doing the bottom in a sandwich of just fabric and thick interfacing, I used free motion to write a love message to Mom.

Vicki

post--13461897889244_thumb.jpg

Here's a close up of the Superior #7 gold thread used on Alyce (Millennium) to highlight the roses and stitch a rose pattern into the purse. It's really exciting to know that the Millie will stitch through some very thick material so successfully.

I did use the Groz-Beckert needle 10 Nm 120/19 for metallic threads. It's a very pretty golden colored needle. There is a little blue square on the label.

This was a fun project and the Millennium made it so easy to decorate with beautiful stitches.

Vicki

post--1346189788938_thumb.jpg

What a beauty ! The bag is nice, too. ;)

I'm going to lauradenisondesigns.com right away to order that pattern.

What is the name of the web-site to order your mom??

I do love the gold thread, it really gives the accent stitch on the rose some sizzle. Great job. And what a wonderful idea to personalize the bag with a message. :)

Vickie....

I took a class to make this bag, it's all cut out, all I have to do is load it and quilt the fabric, etc....it's a fabulous bag and aren't we blessed to have our APQS Millie's to "kick things up a notch or two"......:D:D

I love your bag and your Mommie looks so sweet holding it too, thanks so much for sharing and you've inspired me to get off my toosh and finish my bag....When I do, I'll post a couple pictures. I've got some gorgeous wild batiks in my bag....

Happy Quilting --

You guys made us smile with your cute comments. Mom was so surprised that I put her picture on the web. We really enjoy each other's company and she was going to give away her quilt books and I said "what if I want to do quilting?" Then I made my first quilt a few years ago and we have been enjoying the hobby together ever since. We did Houston in November and Road2CA recently. She is the reason we got the Millie together. And even though her eye sight isn't good, she can sure kick me in the pants.

You'll love the purse or tote from that pattern. My friend Patty gave me the pattern as a present for quilting her red and white quilt. I didn't charge her since it was my first quilt and this was her thank you gift to me. Ah, what a nice friend.

The giant roses print is Makower UK and I purchased it at 35th Avenue Sew and Vac on Northern and 35th in Phoenix.

Actually, I was thinking that a purse, vest, jacket of longarm stitching would make a wonderful walking billboard for a longarm business. At Road2CA I wore this great orange wholecloth jacket from Chicos that looked like it was done on a longarm. So many people asked me if I made it.

Can't wait to see pictures of your totes and purses done on the longarm. Mom gives you a hug of encouragement.

Vicki

Your mom is a cutie! Now I know where you get your looks. ;) I also love the quilted tote you made, and all of the terrific details and up-close photos on how you make it. I also like that you stitched in a special message of love to your mom. So thoughtful are you. I'm sure she is proud to have you as her daughter. You are a sweetie, Vicki!!!

Shana

It would be lonely without Mom. So many of my friends, just like you Bekah, have lost their mothers. I only have one friend with her mother left and one friend who died but her mother is still living. You must miss not being able to pick up the phone and talk to her. After a day at Houston Quilt Show we took a ride in one of those bicycle rickshaws back to the commuter train station and around town a bit. She said "this day has been a once in a lifetime experience." Ah! For me too. Hope we can do it again, will meet up with you for a motherly hug.

Vicki

Vicki:

It says a lot about you and your Mom that you have such a good relationship. I miss my Mom but I do get to talk to her every day. She's been my rock. Don't think I could get her on a rickshaw, though -- well, maybe if she was very tired she might.....

Your Mom and the tote are both beautiful. Take good care of her. They don't last forever.

Archived