What Caused This Disaster?

katquilter

Hi everyone - I'm writing to see if anyone else has had this problem.  I quilt a lot of charity quilts on a sit-down George machine.  I'm a very good quilter, George works great, and all is happy...

Until someone sent me five quilts to sandwich and quilt.  I did them like all the others, with the same kind of batting, thread, tension.  Same sandwiching technique. 

The first one came out sort of ok, bearable, but ripply...

The second one looks like the Rocky Mountains - ripples,peaks, mountains.  It stretched out so bad the rows of the quilt are nowhere near straight...  every block is poofy , EXCEPT on the border fabric, where everything is fine.  It is INCHES out of square.

So - there's the clue - the fabric.   The fabric that stretched looks lovely, is very soft like a polished cotton.  

Another quilt I quilted the day before this one came out fine, so I know it's not something with the machine.  It's the quilt. 

Anybody had this happen before?  My kitties are gonna get a nice blanket, cause this is now trash...  But I have three more from the same lady, and I hesitate to touch them until I figure out how to quilt them.

Thanks anyone for ideas.      Kathleen

Are they by chance not cut straight, but more to the bias side of the fabric?  That also will cause distortion.

It can be avoided by squaring up after every piece is added, and then the blocks added and squared.

Makes for a nearly perfectly squared quilt.   I'm seldom more than 1/2" off, and it can usually be worked out

while quilting.

Rita

Not knowing how you prep the quilt sandwich to quilt on your George, I can only give the general advice to over-stabilize the whole thing. Adding stabilizer to the problem fabrics is a great solution. But can you use fusible batting to achieve the same result? Another thought is to nail it all down with pre-basting the whole thing with a walking foot on your DSM. Sounds like a tedious job but it might do the trick.

I bet the fabric is microfiber.A customer wanted me to make curtains out of 2 king sized sheets for her, they were microfiber. I have never had such a hard time making curtains. It stretched so bad. I had to sew 1 panel 4 times and it still looked crappy.No more microfiber for me. Carol

• 2 weeks later...

Archived