Bali Wedding Star

I'm feeling very fortunate! In the mail, winging its way toward my studio, is a gorgeous Bali Wedding Star. I had the good fortune to sit behind Deb in the Judy Niemeyer class I took at Empty Spools last year and commented on all the great opportunities for quilting. Deb finished her quilt and I get to quilt it!!

Here's my question: This quilt has scalloped borders! YIKES!! I'll take all the suggestions, tips and helps I can get on how to load the darn thing. I've not quilted anything with scalloped borders already cut!

Thanks!!!

Float that beauty.

Use some point in the piecing of the top part as a guide to load it straight. Put the hopping foot at one point---perhaps on the interior of each scallop--, engage the channel lock and run the head down the piecing. Nudge the top so you hit the same spot in the piecing as you go along. Pin in place. Pin all over that quilting field after you're sure it's square. Mark on your unused take-up leader with tape or a blue marker--where both the outside edge (side) scallops are and the inside "dip" of the scallops so you can hit those marks as you advance.

After you've quilted each scallop, stitch along each edge to keep it secure and out of your way.

I envy that you have this gorgeous top to quilt! :)

I sew the batting down with my channel lock so I have a straight line to line up the top scallops with, pin the heck out of them, then stitch them down with a small zigzag or curved line along the edge.  I put a piece of painter's tape on my leveler bar as a reference line at the outer edge of the scallops on the sides to keep the sides straight as I advance the quilt. 

Thanks so much, everyone. Linda, as usual, your explanation was thorough and easy to understand. I'm looking forward to quilting this quilt; and now I'm not nearly as paranoid about loading it.

I love this list! You guys are always here for help and I really appreciate it!!

Archived