Thread wrapped around needle?

Hello all!

I've been having odd issues with thread breaking over my last 2-3 quilts. I had to get those done in a hurry, so I just gritted my teeth, rethreaded, and went on with things. Today I had a bit of time to spare and wanted to put a quilt up on the frame, and I pinpointed what's going on:

At some point, usually after about 8" of sewing, without break or rethread, I get 2 or 3 long stitches the thread is shredding and then wrapping itself *around* the needle, like the stripes on a candycane. And it only happens when moving from right to left (stitching from front). Left to right is fine.

I have a hunch I'm going to be told to re-time my machine, but I've never done it before and am, frankly, nervous about it, so I want to see if there's anything less invasive I can try.

I've only had one needle break. This was the very first time I turned the machine on, 2 years ago, which was bad enough to bend the bobbin case (since replaced), but have never had it re-timed since - replacing the bobbin case resolved all stitch issues. I also had a trans-continental move by truck, but the machine behaved fine for several months after that. This issue is new over the past 6 months)

The Specs:

2011 Millenium with M&M Wheels, 12' table

Stitch regulator on

No burs anywhere I or my nylons can find

Perfect tension, if I do say so myself.

Issue occurs with: 

- Any stitch length

- Both light and dark coloured thread (I first noticed it with only dark coloured thread)

- Both new and old thread (Thought it might just be old or bad thread, tested with multiples.)

- Both Pantographs (which I tend to sew at a higher speed) and slower speed, like basting

- Omni Thread top and bottom

- Sew Fine thread top, Omni Bottom

- King Tut thread top, Omni bottom.

- Sew Fine thread top & bottom

- Ceiling fan on or off (I thought it might be blowing the thread too much)

Any suggestions beyond re-timing?

I don't always use King Tut - I just wanted to see whether the issue would change any if I used a much thicker thread as opposed to the Omni I first noticed it with.

After playing around with removing the bobbin case and the needle up-down button, it's pretty clear that sometimes the thread catches and moves all the way around the case, but more often than not, it's not. Additionally, it's sometimes catching way over on the left hand side of the bobbin case when the needle comes down, and I'm *pretty* sure that that's where the shredding is coming from, I have to use a fair bit of force to get it out.

Off to watch the excellent re-timing video, and then to the hardware store.

Have you tried turning you needle a little bit. Put a flower head pin in the eye of the needle and turn to 35 minutes. Has this started with a new pack of needles? Is it a different brand or color needle from what you used previously, I'd chrome over gold. If after checking all this, check your needle depth. If it is not that you shouldn't have to do a full on retime, just check where and how hard the hook is kissing the needle, you just may have to loosen the screws and adjust the hook in or out a smidge to remedy it. Watch the timing video to see how and where it is supposed to kiss the needle.

It could be as simple as you got different needles.

Shirley

Shirley! Iquiltit!

Thank you so, so, so much for making me go back and double check everything - I broke out my little clock diagram that I'd made when I first got my machine, and it turns out I'd been most recently setting the needle to something a little more like 7-7:30-8 rather than 6-6:30. That indeed turned out to be it, and I also noticed that I'm no longer hearing a teeny tiny tick-tic-tick noise that I thought was just normal movement.

You are phenomenal!

• 3 years later...

Archived