Tips on Reloading a quilt

jelemm

Well I just pulled a real good one.  Have about 12 inches left to quilt and am advancing the quilt with happy thoughts of almost being done when..... I see the canvas!!! My backing is sort big time.   I am guessing my best bet is to take it off add backing then reload.. So my question is , is there any tips on reloading?  Or another way to do it.  I think it is best if I walk away from the machine now.

Thanks  jane

This happened to me once.

I didn't unload the whole quilt.

I just unpinned the back, unrolled the top a bit, very carefully pinned the extra piece in place.

Then, using magnets to secure the unpinned edge, i then used Lola (my longarm) to sew it together.

Then I pressed the seam and pinned the new end to the leader.

Clear as mud?

I had to use a towel stuffed under the back on one side to avoid a wrinkle, but I got it done.

Good luck!

Don't unpin, and you won't have to reload.  If you have more of the backing, or whatever you plan to use, simply line it up under the backing, as close as you can to the leader, right sides together.  Make sure you pin the excess out of the way.  Run a line of stitching across, using your channel locks, if you have them.  Then unpin everything and you have extra backing.  Voilá!  You can now pin the new end to the leader.

This unloading and reloading process, adding more backing or something else..

is one of the biggest reasons why I went back to zippers.   With extra zippers,

I can merely unzip, add or do the job I need to do, and zip back on.

I machine baste the backing to the leaders on my dsm, and find it quite easy to

load and remove, reload, etc.. as much as I need to.  I have a little quilt that is

on it's 3rd stay on the frame.  It will be finished before it comes off this time.

Oh, to save money and frustrations,  I have the take up roller  zipper with the

pull tab end on the machine leader.. and the bottom of the back roller zipper

has the male end.. the little solid straight piece. 

That way when I baste a quilt onto the leaders, I'm using the whole zipper,

not one part for the machine, and having to buy extras to have zips on

more than one quilt at a time.  I have the 10' table, use 96" of it, and have

4 leader widths.. one  106, one set about 80, one at 60 and one at 48.

Everything seems to fit one or the other.  I can quilt up to 106".  It just

doesn't give me enough room to change bobbin, clean area out, etc.

Rita

Don't unpin, and you won't have to reload.  If you have more of the backing, or whatever you plan to use, simply line it up under the backing, as close as you can to the leader, right sides together.  Make sure you pin the excess out of the way.  Run a line of stitching across, using your channel locks, if you have them.  Then unpin everything and you have extra backing.  Voilá!  You can now pin the new end to the leader.

Sorry, I am a very visual person, and this is what I am seeing.  You are under the quilt trying to pin the extra piece upside down while sitting on the floor?  LOL Please tell me no!  I have always unpinned the whole dang thing and would love to understand how this works. Thanks

Chris you do it from the top, use your side clamps to hold the extra piece of backing fabric underneath the back (right sides together), pin the edge of the extra back close to your leaders enough to hold it in place.  Also put a few pins in the extra length through the quilt top to hold it out of the way.  Since you are near the front you can reach under to make sure everything is fairly flat and straight etc

Then put on you horizontal locks and run a line of stitching across the width of the top.

Archived