Ken quilt kq 622

bonway

I've been quilting for 20+years and use 1940's singer sewing machines...yes machines...1 for the trailer and one built into a sewing cabinet I made. I have a janomie that I use as well. I don't seem to have any luck free motion quilting. the bottom thread is not great and have adjusted it by tention top and bottom. new needles, heavier thread.,

I seem to be making 30+quilts per year from lap ones to queen size and it i hard doing the lrger ones when the machines are not fmq right. :wacko:

I am looking at a ken quilt 622 to free motion quilt. the price is good and the size looks as well. any tip, reviews, information nd or pointers...have never used one and the owner of the one im going to look at i don t think is very familar wit it either.

thank you

B

B:  Is the KenQuilt 622 on a frame or set up for sit down free motion?  I had an early streached 622 (it had a 15" throat, the later ones weren't that long) on a 14 foot table.  It worked OK, but I replaced it with a larger machine.  The machine was heavy -cast iron- and the wheel system left a lot to be desired.  They are built from class 96 Singer industrial machines, and have rotorary bobbin systems.  If you intend to simply do random all over quilting, or simple pantos it would probably work, but custom quilting would be difficult, or at lease it was on the one I had.  I sold mine four years ago for $650.

If you are serious about frame quilting, and can afford to spend $2000 or more, I'd recommend that you buy a used APQS Ultimate II.  The wooden tables they come on are great.  They have a 20" throat, are light aluminum, and industrial strength.  I'm very happy with the one I have.  There are a couple for sale on this forum right now.  Jim

Ditto what they said above!

I started with a regular sewing machine on a Grace wood frame (eliminated basting but only quilted about a 5" width) up-graded to a huge stretch Singer (heavy!) then an Ultimate II (much better), then an Ultimate I (great!)  BTW the I is newer/upgraded from the II - never understood that numbering?!, added regulated stitching to my Ultimate I (LOVED that) and now recently bought up to a Millennium. 

My advice is to look for an Ultimate II or I in your area and see how you like it first!  Or a George if you are looking for a sit down machine.

Also, the way I did this (over several years) only cost $1,000 to $2,000 each time!  APQS machines hold their value!!!!  (other's may too) but this is a great way to work up to a great machine without the initial cost and you learn what you like as you go . . .

30 quilts a year . . . WOW - I don't think I've made 30 total in 8 years (JK, probably) but you need a quilting machine in my humble opinion!

Ultimate II is the right choice. The throat is bigger and will be easier to glide and use. Just my own experience with them.I used a friends much smaller machine and I felt like I had done a hard days work. Carol I have owned 2 Ultimate II now I have a Millie and APQS has good customer support. My daughter still has 1 of the Ultimate II

Cathy:  The Ult 1 and Ult 2 were made at the same time.  The 1 was top of the line, while the 2 was a more modestly priced smaller unit.  I think they were made until about 2000, or 2001.  The Millie replaced the Ult 1, and the Lenni (actually the Discovery) replaced the Ult 2.  Both the Ult 1 and the Ult 2 are good machines, and represent some of the best values in the used longarm market.  Jim

Archived