I Spy Fabric Swap Anyone?

Brenni

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reminder - The deadline for squares is January 30.  I have notified everyone by mail or IM if their package has arrived.  I am still missing 6-7 packages. 

If you think you will be running late, please email me.  I am willing to cut your squares if you don't have time.  I am planning to divide them up on Sunday, February 2.  I will press forward with what I get in the mail by Saturday.    

So far there are no duplicates.  I am waiting until Sunday to cut my squares so I can choose fabrics that don't duplicate.  

Mary

Update - I managed to finish sorting them out this morning.  I really underestimated how long it would take to sort them.  Thank you to the folks who sent extras.  It really helped fill a gap.  I only had one fabric duplicate out of all the fabrics I received.  It was the green background with lady bugs and hearts. 

I was able to mail half of them today within the last hour.  The other half will be mailed tomorrow if it does not ice over around here. 

Thanks for particpating.  Make sure to post pictures of your completed quilts. 

I tried to be very careful with keeping track of how many sets you sent in.  If you don't get the correct number back, do not hesitate to IM me. I have tracking numbers for them so if you don't get them within a week (Canada give 10 days), IM me for that too.  I will be mailing the extra strips to the winner in a separate envelope. I have not done the drawing yet.  I am going to have someone at work pull the winner from a hat. 

Mary

Thanks.  It was fun.  I will be washing and sewing mine this weekend.  The rest went out in the mail yesterday.  I have an extra 2nd set so please please let me know if I missed sending you your second set.  The winner of the strips - I had a friend at work draw from the name - is Jo Ann from Mississippi.  She will be getting a second envelope with the excess strips sent in.  Mary

Thanks.  It was fun.  I will be washing and sewing mine this weekend.  The rest went out in the mail yesterday.  I have an extra 2nd set so please please let me know if I missed sending you your second set.  The winner of the strips - I had a friend at work draw from the name - is Jo Ann from Mississippi.  She will be getting a second envelope with the excess strips sent in.  Mary

Mary - how do you wash small pieces like this?  Hand dunk and air dry?

Hoping my sets come today, even though I won't have time to start on them for a while.  I just want to see how they look!  Christmas in February!

What I have done in the past, and will do for these - I will fill the sink with room temp water, some woolite and a shout color catcher.  I will swish them around, let them sit a few minutes, then rinse gently a couple of times.  I will squeeze the water out then throw them in a dryer at regular temp.  I like them preshrunk and prewashed.  I spy quilts are to be used and loved so I like to make sure the fabrics will hold up to real world conditions.  Out of the dryer I throw them all in a laundry basket, spray starch and mix them like butter on popcorn.  I will iron them on high with lots of steam.  Once ironed I will cut them all to the same size.  I am hoping that I will only lose a quarter inch in size total for the squares.  Unfortunately one or two fabrics may need to be replaced if they shrink much more than the others.    

Shout color catchers are the best product ever.  They save so much time when prewashing so many different prints.  I used to separate small squares by color to prewash.  I contacted the company to see if they sold them in individual packaging so that I could include them attached to the instruction card I include with all my quilts.  They said they don't.  I can't believe they are not packaged for a laundramat.  If anyone sees them individually packaged, please let me know. 

Hope this answered your question.  Mary

Thank you, Mary, that was extremely helpful!  I machine pre-wash everything from fat quarters  on up (and batiks get special treatment!), but I have been hesitant to do anything with much smaller sizes, pre-cuts, or pieces in a quilt kit. 

I will print out your method and keep it in the laundry room for easy reference!

I like Shout Color Catchers, too.  You could always put one in a zip bag, along with a copy of the directions, and give them out that way.  A bit more work, but probably cheaper than buying individially packaged sheets, even if they were available.

Archived