Adjusting the hopping foot?

Tella

I just loaded a Sunbonnet Sue quilt with prairie points in the border....I can see that the seam in the border with the prairie points is very thick and especially at the corners, I cannot smoothly move the hopping foot across or over this area...

So, do I need to raise the hopping foot, or what can I do? I don't want to ruin my quilt...and I am going to get stuck in these spots...any suggestions from the pros are appreciated...

Any chance you can give those bulky seams "a light tap with a hammer" as Dawn would suggest?  You'd need to unload the quilt, maybe spritz it with a little water, and place a board under and above both sides.  I'd also cover those with fabric to make sure you don't leave hammer marks on your quilt top.

I can easily raise the hopping foot on my Millie, but I would contact some one from APQS directly to have them send you the e-mail instructions.  I'm not good on computers and won't be able to get it to you other than in snail mail.

I remember when I ordered the new hopping foot set there was a slight adjustment needed on the hopping foot and it is supposed to be a business card thickness...or two? ...I can do it but just don't know if I should or if it will affect the stitches or the tension in the rest of the quilt...

As I was thinking about it today I got another idea...I may just leave that border with the prairie points and do the ditch work on my domestic??

Archived