I need HELP - stain on quilt

Does anyone know how to get permanent marker spots out of a quilt? I made a stencil on a mesh screen - traced the design onto it with a permanent marker. Then I used a water soluble blue marker to transfer the design to the quilt top. About the 4th or 5th time I used the stencil, the permanent marker started coming off with the blue marker. I now have tiny black polka dots on my quilt top. I never anticipated that the two markers would react with each other. The hard way to learn........ Any one have advice on how to remove the black marks.

Thank you for any help/advice,

Chris

post-44228-0-58445100-1393864756_thumb.jpg

Just noticed these dots are very near a RED border; be sure to use any stain removal products with care in case it migrates over to that border and causes it to bleed.  You can ask me how I know that!  May be advisable to wait until quilting is finished and quilt can be treated for stain removal and laundered immediately along with color catchers.  Is this your quilt or a customer's?

I'll add my been-there-done-that to your problem. My first year of longarming I used the same netting-stencil method and got the same result. I even used the permanent laundry marker recommended by the instructions I found and let it cure for three days before I used the stencil. Sorry for your misfortune.

I knew the wonderful quilting ladies on this forum would come to my rescue. Thank you for all of your helpful tips, and sorry some of you have had the same misfortune; but your experience is going to save me! This is a quilt for a fund raising auction at my grand daughter's school. My daughter and I pieced this with the help of 2 non-quilting Moms from the school, so I have to make their work look good......:-)

Thank you again!

Chris

I had a bottle of Grandmas Secret Spot Remover in my laundry room, so I tested it as some suggested. This seems to be getting it out, so I will continue working on the spots. I may get some Carbona stain remover to try and compare. All good knowledge to have. I feel so much better knowing I don't have to tear it out and put a new border on! All that frogging......

Thank you all so much!

Chrispost-44228-0-23495900-1393917727_thumb.jpg

Heidi,

Since Grandmas stain remover worked so well, I got busy with that. By the time I read your question about hand sanitizer, I was finished. Sorry. I will have to remember to try it on a fabric swatch.

Am busy getting the binding on now.

Chris

Archived