What's your favourite DSM?

Guest Linda S

Like Bonnie, I have the Bernina Virtuosa 153 pre-Alex Anderson model. I adore that machine. It almost seems as though you throw fabric at it and it sews itself! I love having all those stitches to play with and it has a simple block letter alphabet if you want to do any writing.

Linda

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Linda,

I am a Bernina girl as well.

We bond very nicely together & I actually got the chance to piece this week-end, like a faithful & loyal friend it is there when I need it! ;)

Mine is the 170 model in 2000.

• 1 year later...

Well,,,dragged up this old post to give you an update. Last Christmas I ended up buying a Janome 6019, pretty basic. Now, for the second time in the last year it has seized up on me!!! I am so frustrated!!! Called the guy I bought it off of and he seems to be on vacation. All the years I had pretty cheap machines and never had a problem. I know this wasn't on the expensive side, but it was a lot for me!:o I'm ready to toss it out the window. I've re-read this old post and am seriously contemplating biting the bullet and getting something else. Sorry to sound so "woe-is-me" but just had to vent at someone who would understand!!!

Sandra

Sandra,

Just like the longarms, go to a few dealers and try out the machines. I did and I am so glad I did.

I even took a few squares to test out, as as though I were making a 9 patch.

Then take a day or two to really think which extra goodies you want and which do you need. I almost bought a touch screen, which I did not need.

I hesitate to say the brand I ended up with, because it is really which machine will fit like a glove for you.

Ok, I'm a Bernina 440QE girl. :)

vg

Wow!

Is there another Janome dealer you could call to see if it is something that they can help with over the phone. I have not had any issues with any of my Janome machines (6500P, 760 & Jem Gold) I have friends that have other machines that are constantly in the shop, some of which are models that were mentioned earlier in this post. I think that having a good dealer no matter what machine you buy is really important. Because no matter what brand you buy there is always a risk that you will get a machine that is not quite right.

I might also try to talk with Janome directly if you think that there is unresolved issues with your machine.

Is there anyone local that has a second machine that would let you borrow it while you are trying to get ahold of your dealer and while it is being worked on?

I have a Bernina and I ride it like a wet pony. It's a workhorse. I take very good care of it and it takes very good care of me. I love my Bernina and have never had a problem with it. I recently bought a used Pfaff 2170 on ebay (I pretty much stole it for the price I paid) and when I opened the box, I think it has never been used; brand new!! I haven't used it much (yet). It's a little different than my Bernina, but I will give it a chance on romance. I was thinking of using it for embroidery.

You can find great ebay deals on used quality machines like Bernina and Pfaff if you watch for them. You don't need to buy new. For my friends who are just starting out with quilting, rather than going out and buying a brand new "el-cheapo" bottom basement machine that is a PITA to use, I recommend they would be happier in the long run buying a used quality machine they can afford (you can find lots of them on ebay that are practically "new" between $500 and $1000). That way they get something at a great price that is user-friendly, quality made, and will last forever.

I love my Vikings! I have a 1+ and just got a Diamond. This is the best sewing machine I've ever had. I went to the Diamond because I wanted the sensor foot technology. I love the sensor foot. It is so handy when doing applique because once you activate the needle down position, you can stop, pivot and keep going without raising or lowing a thing! I got the Diamond instead of the SE which was what I went to buy and hubby told me to get the top of line...whose to argue with a hubby with good common sense :P:P:P!

I also have several machines.

I love my Bernina 180E & Janome 6500 for piecing.

My Bernina 830 is a workhorse and I gave it to my DD.

My little Janome 8080 and Feartherweights are for taking to retreat and classes.

BabyLock Embriodery machine..Mom 'borrowed' it cple yrs ago and I really don't think I wll see I:P again.

I have other vintage Singers that I use also.

Test drive all the brands. It's just like buying a car. It's what you like and want.

Hey Sandra,

Here's my 2 cents, and worth about that much. Go with the majority of the features that you can't live without. Being past the big four-oh, I can't live without a machine with an automatic needle threader. I prefer the manual one on my baby machine, but my big girl has a push button style. Doesn't always work the best, that's why I like the manual better. I'd go with something that has an automatic needle up/down button. My mom was going to have to give up sewing because she couldn't turn the hand wheel anymore. Then we all chipped in and got her a new machine, and she continues to sew for the grandkids. I have a knee lifter for my presser foot on my big machine, and that's another that I would dearly love to see become standard for the smaller machines as well. I think that any quality machine is going to either come with a 1/4" foot included, or have one available for a decent price. You might also think about weight. Is this a machine that you'll take to class, or leave at home and set up all the time? If you are moving it around a lot, try to find something lighter. Boy do they get heavy the farther away you have to park!

My only other suggestion is to sure of the place that you buy it. I loved where I got my machines, but they sadly were bought out by another company that I'm not so thrilled with. I'm still able to get it serviced by a 3rd shop, but farther away from me. If something happens, where will you go for repairs, and will the warranty be honored if the ownership of the shop changes place?

Well, this has become a novel, so I'll stop now. You are right though, great to see Sue's smiling face. Now, where did mine go?

Another Bernina Fan here!!! I've had a couple Singers, over the years but when I got my Bernina I was in love!!! It's the 180E model. E is the embroidery unit. I don't know what model is comparable now but I'd buy a Bernina again in a minute. It is so user friendly and intuitive for me. Even after not using some of the features for a while, I can fiddle with it and figure things out. Since I've taught lots of piecing classes, I've dealt with a lot of different machines and not found any I like better. That being said, my suggestion would be to make a list of the things you think you really want your machine to do. Then try the different brands and address your needs with your list. When you test drive, take something of your own to sew on. Maybe just a couple pieces of quilting fabric that you can try out the 1/4" seam guide and see how you like the feel. If you aren't using it to piece, but for garments the take some of that fabric and try it. The stuff the dealers use to demo machines is all starched and pressed and made to show off the machines at their best.

Good luck with your quest!!!

DSM .......... had them all at various times from the Singer 401A to the present day machines. I recently "got rid of" my Bernina 730. Long story short: the old Singers were great - no longer as good. Elna had problems -don't know about the Elana's of today. The older Berninas - older than 5 years were much better than today (don't know about the latest except it is do expensive!!!!).

I have finally settled on the Viking - basically the same as the Pfaff. For many years I would have said Pfaff over Viking, but since the merger (buy-out) the machines have become more similar in what they have to offer and quality. There was just something about the Viking that I liked better - not sure what. I loved my Babylock (Brother) and would have kept it, but found it too cumbersome and heavy to take to a class. It was a workhorse. I like the Janome for quilting but the machine embroidery was not as good as the Babylock/Brother or Bernina as well as the Pfaff/Viking.

When looking at a machine - go through a sewing center - not a JoAnns, etc. Really look into the service. Service over the years is critical. As far as I am concerned, all of the better brands - Bernina, Pfaff, Viking, and Brother/Babylock offer good machines - take the time to try each and see which one fits you best. Take fabric to the store that is similar to what you will be working on (don't rely on what they show you at the store) and sit down and sew!!!!! I might spend a good hour + just playing around on the floor models & than go back again - It is a big investment & you will want to like (bond) with your new machine. Try all the aspects of each of the machines you try. You will find that one will stand out for you. Then double check the service!!!!!!! Also, see that the store will be around for awhile - how long has it been there and will it be staying around.

Good luck!!!!

I have a new found love....My Singer 201-2....love it!! I only do straight stitching when piecing so it works perfectly. Plus, because there is not built in zig-zag or fancy stitches, you get the most perfect straight stitch.

The really great thing...you don't need to take them in for repairs. You give it a drink of oil once in a while...make sure it has grease in it's gears and you are good to go.

The problem...once you get one of these old machines, you are bit by the collector bug.

I don't even use my Janome any more...she is just sitting there singing that "Baby Come Back" song like the mop in the commercials :)

Thank you everyone for your opinions...again!!! I really think that I must have a lemon! I will wait til the repair guy is back from vacation and see what he has to say. It's still under warranty so I'm wondering if I can talk (bully) him into a replacement!!! I do still have an old EuroPro that I can get by with for now. If I do end up buying a new machine, I'm really torn on getting a bottom of the line or investing in a really good one. I think that I am jaded on paying a lot for anything anymore...seems the workmanship is not there like it used to be. For instance, a while back we bought a really nice side-by-side fridge...broke down after 8 years. The repairman said it wasn't worth fixing and they were not built to last more than ten years. We ended up buying a plain-jane fridge that has been going great!

Seems like everything happens at once. On the weekend during our windstorm, we had a power outage....which means no sump-pump. We ended up with some water in the rec room. We've tried to dry it up but it sure is starting to smell, I think we are going to end up calling the insurance company :(. Other things, too, have been breaking down lately, it seems never-ending. I don't know if you remember, my husband passed away a year ago, so a lot of these hurdles are things that Greg would have taken care of. On a brighter note, my son and I had a proud moment when we repaired the toilet last night:). Sidebar to PattyJo.....it will seem overwhelming at times when you have to deal with things that you used to be able to collaborate with your DH, but when you manage to muddle thru' on your own ~ give yourself a pat on the back and say "way to go!!!". Sorry to ramble on but things have been a bit tough the last couple of weeks. I really found it surprising when we managed thru' Christmas, what a terribly blue couple of days followed!!! Thanks for listening....

Sandra

Originally posted by SandraC

.....Sorry to ramble on but things have been a bit tough the last couple of weeks. I really found it surprising when we managed thru' Christmas, what a terribly blue couple of days followed!!! Thanks for listening.... Sandra

Hi Sandra, I thought about you over the holidays. I know it's tough to muddle through sometimes. Attitude is everything and I know you have the right attitude. Take care. Sending a hug. ---Shana

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Originally posted by hmerrill

......and hubby told me to get the top of line...whose to argue with a hubby with good common sense :P:P:P!

I'll just say that your hubby has a top of the line Wife so he knows a good thing and he has good common sense. :)

Shana it takes one to know one! You are the sweetest person...thanks for the nice comment...now I'll try to live up to it!

Sandra,

You ramble all you want! Here is another big ((((((((hug)))))))) for you. I haven't lost a husband but had one in the military who was gone a lot and you will learn to do things on your own and feel proud that you did it. Now that hubby is around he sometimes gets frustrated with me for doing things he thinks is his job. When he retired from the Marine Corp he worked at a Target Distribution center and worked the 3rd shift. He would get home at 4 am and worked 10 - 12 hour days at least 4 days a week. Sometimes he would have to get up at 10 to go to mandatory meetings, that was at least once every week. It really wore him out. Any way we live in the Northeast so weather is always an issue. We got a really bad snow and I knew he would be coming home. I got up at 3:30 and started running the snowblower so he could get up the driveway. he finally got home at 4:30 as I was finishing up and he said see those snow blower headlights just warmed him up! I'm sure you have lots of memories of the things your Greg used to do and when you're having one of those hard days try to think of those special times. Of course you can always come and vent to us!

Thanks so much for being there for me this past year. Reading the posts every day has been a good therapy....much more than any of you can ever know! What a great bunch of friends we all have, from Australia, the UK, all thru' the States and Canada, clear up to the North Pole!!!

I had planned a trip to Scotland next year with Greg's bro's but they are unsure of where their jobs are taking them in the next while. I am on the verge of taking part of that Scotland money and investing in a great sewing machine...am thinking along the lines of a Bernina. A good friend of mine told me to just do it, that I deserve it!!!....and I do hate to argue :):P;)hmmmmm...................

well id have to say i wont ever buy again for a brand name period.

its all about the service after.. so many great machines out there.. every brand has great stuff to offer.. its about how i'm treated when i walk in the door AFTER the big purchase that i want

if you can find that shop in town that treats the customer that purchased the 300$ non computerized manual entry level machine the same as the customer that drops the bucks on the biggest baddest machine with a novel for the owners manual that's where you want to buy..

talk the the sales rep's and to the machine head tech's in the back room

there is one somewhere that gets that glimmer in his eye when i talks about a machine and you know he thinks of all of the machines he works on as someone's baby

then buy the best machine you can afford from that shop

Archived