Grandmother's hand sewn quilts

Yikes...you may want to test the fabric to see if it can withstand the larger needle of our longarm if they are fragile.  I don't think I would try to pull them tight, either.  I would gently float the tops so that you don't pull them as you advance. If they are very fragile, I might consider backing them with interfacing, either iron on very lightweight knit type or spray baste a,lightweight pellon type to the quilt backs.  I was just at a guild meeting where they were discussing these tops coming apart because the thread had deteriorated, and some of the fabrics had just fallen apart when penetrated by the longarm needle...not all of the fabrics, but each patch of a particular print.  Scared me!

As the others stated, take care and I'm sure you'll be able to see right away if the fabrics are strong enough for the high-speed stitching of the longarm.

I've finished numerous quilt from the 30's and 40's without too many problems.

Investigate for opened seams and either charge to repair them or have your customer do it.

A guild mate who is an AQS certified judge has told us many times that not every vintage top needs (or deserves) to be finished. There were reasons the quilt was never finished in the first place!

If it's too fragile, really wonky so it'll never lay flat enough to quilt nicely, or there is fabric disintegrating---sometimes it's best to fold it up and use it only for display.

I got it on the roller and tore a small seam and restitched it.  But I really like the idea of sewing a light pellon on the back....like a t-shirt quilt does.  Thank you so much.  It has been on my machine for 3 days and I am so scared to do anything with it.  She sent me EIGHT of these.  Thank goodness the customer is wonderful and knows I am learning and has lots of grace.  It is a spools quilt and I think I am going to echo the design and hopefully catch those seams and secure them...Do you think that will work? 

Archived