Minky on the back- batting or not?

Amy676

It will work either way, but batting will add a lot of weight to an already-heavy project.

It's not necessary to use batting with Minkee, so it's your call.

Load with the selvages pinned to the leaders and make sure the side clamps are loose and not stretching the Minkee at the sides. I actually pin the top and the Minkee together all along the sides and then fasten the side clamps over a pin. It seems to stabilize the stretchy Minkee a bit and reminds me not to tighten the elastic of the clamps too much.

I typically use preshrunk white flannel. It gives it a bit of stability without heaviness and helps keep the little tufts of minky fuzz from being pulled to the surface of the quilt top. I've also used silk batting which gave a lovely drape. Flannel is less expensive though. Try Quilters Dream Angel. Also nice drape and is fire retardent.

I use Hobbs 80/20 in my minkee top and bottom quilts. I don't load with salvages to the leaders either, I load with the cut ends. Just don't stretch it, but I use minkee a lot, like 50 minkee quilts last year! I think I have figured it out and what works for me.

Shirley

• 3 years later...

I've always used batting (Hobbs 80/20) even when doing minky backing. I feel it helps give the quilting more definition and most of the time it's been for children's or baby quilts and I think the extra weight is comforting when you snuggle them in :). 

Archived