Amy676

Minky on the back- batting or not?

I am about to load my third quilt on Millie- a quilt for my new nephew- it is 50 x 70 and I am using Minky on the back. I am not sure if I should use batting or not. I appreciate your input!

2014 Millie

It will work either way, but batting will add a lot of weight to an already-heavy project.

It's not necessary to use batting with Minkee, so it's your call.

Load with the selvages pinned to the leaders and make sure the side clamps are loose and not stretching the Minkee at the sides. I actually pin the top and the Minkee together all along the sides and then fasten the side clamps over a pin. It seems to stabilize the stretchy Minkee a bit and reminds me not to tighten the elastic of the clamps too much.

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Millennium on Bliss rails--hand-guided

http://www.topperquilttools.com

I did not use batting for my first quilt using minkee on the back. I found the quilt to be a bit limp. I now prefer to use a light weight poly batting (Legacy) with minkee backing.

Quilted Stitches

APQS - Lucey

I preferred batting with mine also.  It was a baby quilt so that may be why it didn't feel heavy.

D92090BC49E8C634FED9A5815EF5ABB3.png

Serendipity: The discovery of something wonderful quite by accident while looking for something quite different.

I typically use preshrunk white flannel. It gives it a bit of stability without heaviness and helps keep the little tufts of minky fuzz from being pulled to the surface of the quilt top. I've also used silk batting which gave a lovely drape. Flannel is less expensive though. Try Quilters Dream Angel. Also nice drape and is fire retardent.

AFC921388AFE7792C8CCF0F1D6100A80.png

I use Hobbs 80/20 in my minkee top and bottom quilts. I don't load with salvages to the leaders either, I load with the cut ends. Just don't stretch it, but I use minkee a lot, like 50 minkee quilts last year! I think I have figured it out and what works for me.

Shirley

I have usually use 80/20 batting but on the Black and White one that I posted today I used silk. Loved the way it felt. I typically load salvage on the side but it all depends on the quilt.

Myrna Ficken A Quilter's Choice - APQS West, 5787 S. Gallup, Littleton, CO 80120;  Store 435-414-2026 Mobile 435-229-2703  myrnaf@q.com  www.aquilterschoice.com community. Look me up on Facebook   A Quilter's Choice - APQS West

Just did a "limp" quilt myself.   Customer did not want batting so I did as requested.  The back looked great but the front needed batting to fill the quilting design.  Will refuse this request next time.

Robin

I've always used batting (Hobbs 80/20) even when doing minky backing. I feel it helps give the quilting more definition and most of the time it's been for children's or baby quilts and I think the extra weight is comforting when you snuggle them in :). 

Sharon Wall

Quilting with my ‘Mustang Sally’ (Blissed Freedom with QP)