Needle stops while entering fabric.................

So I loaded my quilt,....100 percent cotton....and I loaded the backing....100% cotton... and batting (thin 80/20) onto my frame.  I put a new needle into my Millennium and I proceeded to put "needle down".  It started to enter the quilt (not at a seam)....and it bulked...and got stuck there.  I had to turn the wheel to get it down.   It happened over and over and over again.  It was like it did not have enough pressure to get through my three layers. 

It is oiled, it is cleaned.  It is one of my first projects that I have done since I had it in last fall for it's "Spa Treatment". 

What could possibly be wrong with it? 

Janice in Minnesota

Yes, I did let it warm up.  It quilted fine....but when I would start and stop, and use my needle down to finish off....it would slowly go down, touch the fabric, stop and hum.   I will take the front left cover off and check it.  Thank you!

You may need to adjust your #8 screw.  This is the one that sets the pace for the needle up/down feature.  I find that I used to have to change mine at change of seasons, so if it's just come back from Iowa, it may have been adjusted for there, but not your location.

Janice,

Sometimes the motor just doesn't have enough force to drive the needle through a bulky seam when only using the needle up/down. Nothing is wrong--it just needs more torque to accomplish the task. Think about when you hang a picture on the wall. Tap-tap-tapping will get the nail in eventually, but not as effectively as a firm stroke with the hammer. When the machine isn't moving and the motor isn't spinning fast, you'll meet resistance in those bulky seams. There is nothing wrong with "helping" it along with the fly wheel. You'll notice that the machine will penetrate the seams easily when you move and the motor has some RPMs going--it will have enough force to push the needle through.

Yes, I have the needle in correctly.  It sews perfectly when I am quilting.   It happens only when I am doing the needle down at a start and stop.  As I said, I plan on changing the needle to a small size, as I believe the one I have in there now might be too large for what I am working on. 

Thank you again to Dawn and everyone else who took time to help me out!

Janice in Northern Minnesota

Archived