Love my new George.....but he's LOUD

Olympia

My George was delivered on Wednesday.   I quickly realized after reading the manual, changing to my favorite Isacord thread, adjusting tension on my bobbin and top thread...............that there is no adjustment period.  If you can sew on a Singer Featherweight, you can quilt on a George!  Only one thing different, how you put in a new needle. Love it!  Love it!!!  Within hours of delivery I was happily practicing feathers and working on my trapunto quilt.

One observation:  When I tried George out for the first time, I was at a quilt show in Raleigh, North Carolina, held at the Fairgrounds at the Scott Kerr building.  It's a massive place that was filled with hundreds of excited chatting quilter.  I sewed on George for an hour and loved him.  Now that he's home in my quiet sewing room, for the first time I realize how LOUD he is.  I wear ear plugs while I'm quilting.

I'm not complaining, I LOVE this machine, but I'm just wondering if all of you, who are far more experienced than I, notice the decibel level too.

Thank you,

Norma (alias Olympia, because there were too many Norma's on the forum) 

If I didn't already have hearing issues I would also recommend ear plugs even for the stand up machines. Industrial machines make noise. As the grease settles around it might get quieter. But aft years of sitting a couple hundred yards from compressors i don't even notice it.

Shirley

Yes, George has a voice!  If you want to get some wireless earphones you can listen to music or tv shows while you quilt.  Make sure you have him well oiled for the most quietness possible.

Have fun, George is great.  Welcome to the forum.  Remember that there are no dumb questions on here and help can be found here almost at any hour. 

Norma,

It will sound louder in a smaller room.  I know that my longarm sounds significantly quieter then one of my friends becuase mine is in a larger room with higher ceilings.  If we put both the longarms in the same space they sound the same.   Having said that, it is always OK to want to make sure nothing is wrong.   I can run over and check it out if you would like.  

Glad you are enjoying your George!   You smiled the whole time you were test driving the one at the show.  

Just delighted to hear that you are enjoying your George, Olympia/Norma ;-)   I have to agree that George is not 'whisper quiet' as the brochure claims.  That being said, when I'm working, I rely on the sound of my George.  My husband suggested ear plugs or turning up the music but I find that I need to hear the machine in order to know when he's at a happy speed.  

You're right. Really the only difference between George and a DSM (besides the terrific throat space & table) is how you insert the needle AND the fact that the top tension settings are much less sensitive than most DSMs.  To paraphrase what they say in Casablanca,  this looks like the beginning of a wonderful friendship!  Congratulations!   Nancy in Tucson

Archived