Big one just finished

Here's a link to pics of a big quilt with an intricate print stripe border. The Irish Chain-style center with pale green plain blocks kept me thinking. I didn't want the quilting in the plain blocks to compete with the border, so I needed something simpler and soothing so the eye could have a resting spot. Normally I'd quilt feathers or scrollwork to fill the pale blocks. I left them until last and played a bit to come up with the design I used. Marked with a circle template and the corner swirls were added freehand. It's continuous! Faster to stitch than to mark. I'll save this one to use again. I like that the center is repetitious and rather calm. Thanks for looking. Arrow right for details.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/larech/13709930345/in/photostream/

You really had control of that template to add those swirls and keep going.  I also loved that dresden plate.  Did you post that before?  I love the way you outlined around it to set it off and then put the pebbles inbetween. Both are such creative patterns.

Thanks for the kind words!

Just to clarify, the center designs were first marked and then stitched freehand. I used a circle template that fit between the corners to mark a perfect half-circle.

I have a terrible time stitching around a template but I'm lucky to have Bliss and enough experience to be able to stitch on a line successfully.

Next month will be 10 years since I went to a Roadshow and ordered my Millie. Except for getting Dennis to marry me--the best decision I ever made!  B)

Archived