How to quilt sitting down?

Mary S

I know some longarm quilters have figured out how to adjust their machines so they can quilt sitting, and I think that I need to find out how to do the same. I bought a saddle stool I can adjust so it allows me to sit at the same height as if I were standing, but I can't move it sideways very well when going along quilting a border or sashing horizontally across a quilt. I don't know if the hydraulic lift would help, because it doesn't look as if my table can be lowered enough to make much difference.

But I'm having a lot of knee problems lately, due to worsening arthritis, and I have to admit, after months of denial, that it is beginning to cut into my quilting time. I work a 40-hour a week office job, too -- and after a year of being able to do both happily, I'm beginning to think that I can't come home after work and quilt evenings while standing long enough hours without some changes.

I need to find some better ways to adjust myself to the machine or it to me.

Any suggestions or ideas will be hugely appreciated. I do LOVE quilting on my Millenium and I don't want to even slow down if I can find a way to keep on keeping on.

Mary Smart

Vermillion SD:(

Hi Mary

You should not have to adjust a thing to be able to sit down to quilt. I use a drafting stool and I place my feet on the batting storage bar which keeps me in place when I want to be in place. When I am ready to roll I just give a little shove to the left or to the right and off I go. I do have a large piece of lexon on top of the carpeting which makes it possible to glide like butta! I will never stand to quilt again! Now if I could just hook up and IV and a Catherater I could quilt 24/7

LOL

Holler if I can help you further.

Happy Holidays!

Guest Linda S

Sherry - you crack me up! I can relate though, especially since my bathroom is downstairs from the quilt room! ;) The newer machines don't have a batting roller underneath, but I still manage to get the balls of my feet down to the floor easy enough to push myself along. I have a saddle stool too, and I love it!

Linda

I appreciate the help. Sherry, where did you get your lexon? That is what I need -- I'm on anti-fatigue mats and it's hard to roll sideways on those.

And White Rooster -- I found my stool at www.bizchair.com. It is their model ST205-OS -- a padded saddle seat, backless, with pneumatic adjustable height and tilt adjustment. It was $125.07 there -- when I got it there was no charge for shipping. Someone on a longarm list suggested it, and it was just what I wanted.

Now to find that lexon so I can move sideways.

Thank you SO MUCH for the help. :D

Mary Smart

Millenium

Vermillion SD

Hi Mary

You can buy the lexon from APQS! This is what is used for the table top. Although it does come in 2 pieces I found that if I placed the rubbermade shelf liner under the lexon that it stayed in place on top of my carpet and did not move apart. You could also try any plastic manufacture and or glass companys.

Happy Holidays!!

Sherry--

Thank you so much for the information. I will contact APQS to find out about getting the lexon from them -- I never even thought about the table top -- of course that would work. With that I can start training myself to sit down for more of the quilting.:o

Thanks again.

Mary

I have the saddle stool to sit when quilting. I only use it if my pattern is close and doesn't require me to move alot. I like it. It saves on the lower back getting fatiqued. Saves on the knees also. I don't have the batting roller so i mive myself along by pushing off on the backing roller. I recommend trying to teeach yourself to sit while quilting. I took me about a week to get comfortable. My floor is concrete so i don't have to worry with the anti-sliding thing.

I have the saddle stool to sit when quilting. I only use it if my pattern is close and doesn't require me to move alot. I like it. It saves on the lower back getting fatiqued. Saves on the knees also. I don't have the batting roller so i mive myself along by pushing off on the backing roller. I recommend trying to teeach yourself to sit while quilting. I took me about a week to get comfortable. My floor is concrete so i don't have to worry with the anti-sliding thing.

• 5 months later...

Office mAX HAS TALL STOOLS WITH PNUEMATIC ADJUSTMENTS FOR ABOUT $100 WITH WHEELS. Ihave carpet so am happy to learn about the lexon to allow me to move about. My problem is that " I am height impaired" so

I cannot put my feet on the floor when the chair is the right height...the bar sounds like a good idea....Beverly in NC

Archived