UPDATE ON HEAT PRESS- wanted recommendations for heat press to do t shirt quilts

Although I don't care for doing T shirt quilts all that much, seems like that is all the work coming my way these days. So, I'm thinking it would be helpful to give my iron a break and buy a heat press.Using the iron, it takes me all day to prepare shirts. Ebay and Amazon have lots of them listed for sale, but the make and models are either generic or not listed in the descriptions. So, I'm asking for recommendations on make, model and size of heat press to get. My budget is low, around $250 to $300. 

Thanks in advance!

Debbie

I purchased a used HIX 16"x20" platen clamshell heat press 12 years ago on eBay for $450.  Shipping cost me almost $100 then so not sure what services there may that are different now.  I've never had a lick of problems with it, and I've used it for dye sub work as well as heat transfer applications for embroidery, quilting, etc.  I'm using it right now for a t'shirt quilt for a graduation gift, and it makes the tedious work of pressing the interfacing a breeze.

Well, I went over to Amazon and looked at many presses and the reviews given on them. There is one called a "power press" that lots of people gave good reviews on and it is available under several distributors under several badged names. Similiar to how old sewing machine companies made and sold machines to department stores with a name they wanted on the machine. I don't need it to be fancy, just to heat up and press interfacing to t shirts. Have ordered this one, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IPTKRLA/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item. When it arrives and if it is ok, I'll give feedback here on it.

Debbie

I bought one used on Craig's list, and it worked great for the first quilt.  Then it just wouldn't get hot enough anymore.  Bought an Artistic press from the local sewing machine store, and love it.  I haven't used it much, but it surely saves time from trying to press all the interfacing onto the shirts with a regular iron.

I got a used heat press on my local craigslist.

It's a tabletop model.

I paid $75.

I'm not home, so I can't tell you the brand.

I spend a fraction of the time I used to on stabilizing.

I think it was a good buy.

I don't make that many tshirt quilts, but I wouldn't make any without this tool.

HEAT PRESS UPDATE

My heat press arrived today promptly at 4pm. By 4:26p it was heating up!

instruction booklet said to heat the press with the press open. Never heat it closed as it could start a fire.

It gave instructions to use for the heat settings for various materials with fabric being around 300F and for a time setting of 10 second.

The press came with a teflon press cloth but I purchased a set of 3 from amazon which arrived yesterday. Those are nicer than the one that comes with the press. More translucent and easier to see thru for placement on top of the shirt.

The press took about 10 minutes to heat up to the temperature setting. To iron the pellon inferfacing to the shirt, I placed a teflon press cloth on the bottom silicon pad, then the shirt face down, then the inferfacing, then another teflon press cloth. I did not use any water to wet the inferfacing.  I was using pellon 906fw inferfacing. The one time I forgot to put the press cloth on top, the shirt wanted to pull up when the press was opened. 

Next, close the cover and push the handle down until it locks. It was hard to lock it. There is an adjustment to the pressure exerted on the pad and it can be changed by turning the knob counterclockwise to loosen it which I did.

10 seconds later the timer alarm sounded and I manually lifted the top off of the materials. The bond was perfect!

The other 13 shirts I had to do were done in about 25 minutes and that included the time it took to cut the interfacing.

I don't know how long this press will last, it was cheaper than any of the others, but it heats great all around the heat pad and for now, I am pleased with how easy it is to use. I just today had to toss a hand iron that died on me doing the last t shirt quilt.

It is called a power press and it was sold by fancier studio on amazon. The one I ordered was supposed to be red and white and the box does say that it is, but it is more maroon and beige. It has thick silicon pad on the bottom which you can touch while the top undeside of the press is the element that heats up. The size is 15 x 15.

Great news for you!  You'll find other uses for your heat press also, such as prepping applique pieces, transfers, etc. Doing several pieces at one time with the same time and pressure helps with accuracy for me because with a regular iron I think I tend to get too heavy handed.  Although my press was purchased mostly for my dye sub work it's also used as much for my sewing and quilting projects.  Enjoy yours!

Before the heat press, It would have taken hours to apply the interfacing to the shirt backs. I'm still in shock because it was over and finished so quickly. Anyone making t-shirt quilts should run, not walk to buy one of these timesavers, no matter what the brand. You'll make your money back fast! I can't believe it took me so long to decide to buy one. 

• 2 years later...

Hi, Finding the best heat press machine isn't an easy option, i will recommend some of the best heat press machine

Powerpress Industrial-Quality Digital 15 x 15-Inch sublimation for T-shirt.

Oshion Clamshell 15 x 15-Inch Heat Press T-shirt Digital Transfer Sublimation Machine

Mophorn Heat Press Machine 5 in 1 Multi function Transfer Sublimation 360 Degree Rotation 12 x 10-Inch

this are the best options for you

• 5 months later...

Here Same problem I have faced too. Budget is the main issue while selecting the  product . But if you are looking for the home use you can buy in cheap price from different online stores. Powerpress can be the right option for you , or you can choose another one according to your need.

Hi Mary, You are welcome. This is an old post from April 2014.  Wanted to say, I am still using the same press. I've not had a minutes' problem with it. The heat is still even across the surface and I haven't found a need for a larger one at all.

What a godsend these posts are!  To hear you say that this is a tried-and-true product after years of use (especially without problems) saves us newbies SO much, in trial, tribulation, dollars and frustration!   Many thanks for the update.  I read the entire thread with such interest!

Archived