Quilting with Omni on Millie

I've just gotten my new 2008 Millenium. I've got a lot of Omni cones left over from my George, which performed really well with it. I'm having a little trouble getting my tension just right on the Millie. Any tips for Omni? I know Superior says a 180-200 TOWA reading is recommended, but I'm still getting some tiny railroad tracks in certain curves at that setting. What does everyone else set their TOWA to for this thread?

No matter what your setting in your Towa gauge, you'll have to fiddle with your top tension a bit to achieve the perfect balance.  I run most of my threads at about 22 (220 if you have the gauge with the extra zero).  Then I adjust the top tension until I get it perfect.  On nearly every quilt I do, you will see a scrap of fabric near the top of the quilt, generally on the left side.  This is a piece of binding left over from other quilts that I stitch down in the extra backing and batting on the side of the quilt.  I do some fast loops and points and check to make sure the tension is good on top and back before proceeding.  

post-52089-0-55433300-1398633911_thumb.jpg

I like to get all new machine owners to look carefully at the tension dial of their machine.  On a brand new machine the inside screw of their dial is usually about even with the outside nut.  Mark a point, at the top, with a permanent marker on the outside dial.  This then gives you a starting point for adjusting tension.

Top tension is adjusted by turning the outside dial in 1/4 turns.

If the screw inside your tension dial is sticking out or in really far from being level then the previous owner as adjusted the tension a lot.

Start by finding the bottom tension with the drop test , then check with your TOWA,  I run mine at 150 or 15.  So looser than many.

Omni needs to run a bit looser than Glide,  similar to So Fine.  It is also a lintier thread so the bobbin area will need cleaning more frequently.

I also have a 2008 Millie and love how Omni runs on it, just keep loosening up your tension about 1/4 turn until you are happy with the stitches, Linda gives good advice in marking your "regular" tension on the dial so you have something to go back to when you switch back to your normal thread that you use the most.

Archived