George's Motor Stalling When Quilting Trapunto

Olympia

I've had my George 27 days.  I'm in love with him!!!  I'm having trouble quilting my trapunto.  All of my quilting is for the wee ones at the hospital.  (See attachments).  This is the first time I've done trapunto on a machine.  I'm a lifetime hand quilter.  When I quilt around the stars or trees, which is many layers of cotton fabric + high loft polyester for the trapunto and low loft wool batt, George stalls.  I have to manually use the flywheel to get it through the thickness or put the "motor speed control knob" to 10.  At 10 George goes through all the layers without stalling. 

Please tell me what I'm supposed to be doing????   It's wonderful having this forum to go to!!!  Thank you so much.

post-63011-0-41283900-1398777526_thumb.jpg

post-63011-0-76780000-1398777541_thumb.jpg

post-63011-0-54021700-1398777556_thumb.jpg

Are you noticing George stalling when he is hitting a pile up of seam allowance or just consistantly through the lines of stitching?  You might need to replace the needle because the first one could be dull.  Also, are you stitching slower at the stall point? 

I haven't had a problem with my George stalling except a couple times at the pile up of seams such as the center of star sections where 6 - 8 pieces come together.

Madelyn,

I only have a stalling problem, where the seams pile up.  Putting the motor speed control knob to 10, has really solved the problem.  I just wanted to hear from you "pros" if there was something else I could be doing.

I changed the needle per your advice and you're right.  I am stitching slower at the point.

Thanks for the help.

That's great work you are doing, Olympia.  My George did complain a little on one quilt…it was a pickle dish (LOTS of seam allowances) and I used 2 layers of wool batting (never again).  He balked at a few of the intersections but I just took my time (or used the flywheel) to get through the worst ones.   Have you considered re-setting the height of the hopping foot (a little higher) so that it can get over those really dense areas a little more smoothly?  Instructions should be in the manual…it's not too difficult.  Keep quilting for those wee ones…you're providing special comfort to those families and giving quilters a good name.   Nancy in Tucson

Archived